Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 fender trims
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I've been sorting my pile of these spears into groups...
Can someone confirm the lengths of the trims for the front fenders, SIDEMOUNTED cars? The parts book lists 3 different lengths.

Might as well ask to confirm rear fender spear lengths , should all be same.
Front fender length, NON-Sidemounted, again, should all be the same.

OH, and for the front fender of 110 deluxe cars, length of front fender trims?

Just want to make sure I have them marked right....
thanks!

DAF

Posted on: 2015/9/4 21:50
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 fender trims
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
EDIT: Disregard the following measurements as most were found to be incorrect.
For the side mounted cars [front]:
18 1/2"
19 1/4"
23"
23"

Non side mount [front]
18 1/2"
18 1/2"
23"
23"

[rear]
18 3/4" x4

Based on a '41 180 Limousine [1450]. It came with non-side mounts and I purchased side mount fenders later (still to be installed).

Anyway, that's what I show... take it with a grain of salt. They may have been swapped out sometime during the last 74 years.

Posted on: 2015/9/5 11:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Oh boy, have I opened a can of worms?
Thank you for your review, but no, I am not satisfied that resolution is clear.

For NON-SIDEMOUNTED cars, the parts book says 4 each front fender, all same length. 362743. I have penciled in my book 22 3/4". Maybe about 23" give or take measurement method, but I must insist that they should be all the same?

For SIDEMOUNTED cars, parts book states 2 LONG, 1 MEDIUM, 1 SHORT per fender, of course. Your suggestion that the LONG strips are the same as the NON-Sidemounted I also debate as the part number is different? 18 1/2 and 19 1/4 may be correct for the Short and Medium , as I have many that I have marked as 18 5/8, and a couple I have marked as 19 1/4.

The REAR fender trims I have noted in my parts book as 20 3/4, which I specifically recall reviewing with Jim Hollingsworth when we put together a set for a friend, so now I must ask others to weigh in. And could you check your actual measurements of 18 1/2 and 18 3/4 please?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your reply, but I do not think this is resolved yet.

And I have 19 7/8 noted for 110 fronts, yet Johnn Ulrich has a pair currently on ebait claiming 18 5/8 for 110 front?

Posted on: 2015/9/5 21:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Based on a slew of photos on-line here and the parts manual... Yes, the non-side mount fender has 4 equal length trim pieces. I should have looked. As with so many things on my '41 the trim is incorrect. I would never offer any examples from under the hood or the interior as being factory correct because I know better. Now I will refrain from offering any part of the car as being correct. The side mount fender was from a different source and I think has the original trim.
Heaven knows what the P.O. used for the rear fenders. Probably whatever he could lay his hands on to sell the car with 'complete' trim.

Posted on: 2015/9/5 22:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jerry
See User information
For what it is worth - I went out and measured my 42' 120

I also wonder if they were measured point to point or somewhere else!

Depending on how straight I held the ruler - the measurements were:

The rears measure 20 1/2" to 20 5/8"

I also have a bunch that are NOS that are marked with part number 366320 and they measure about 20 5/8" yet the parts book shows them being 19 7/8" and for the rear of both the 110 and 120 in 42'

The fronts measure 22 7/8" or 22 3/4"

I also have a bunch I took off 2 41' 110's that I parted out

The rears all measured in the 20 1/2" to 20 5/8"
while the fronts measured about 18 3/4" to 18 7/8"

The 42' parts book also list 3 different sizes for the convert with side mounts but no measurements are given - it says, 2 longs, 1 medium and 1 short and these part numbers are all different than the ones used on non side mount fenders

So from what the parts book says there were 5 different trim strips used on the front fenders

Posted on: 2015/9/7 18:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved