Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

Packard Don, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 22 »

Re: Packard Monte Carlo
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Someone went to a lot of trouble and effort to build their version of a Monte Carlo convertible. Just eye-balling the proportions, its built on a 120" wb 22nd Series Super Eight convertible because the axle-to-cowl length isn't long enough to be a 23rd Series Super Deluxe. Sheet metal modification include closing the front wheelhouses and the 22nd Series taillight openings. They added 23rd Series Super side trim and taillights lowered to upper front grille bar height. The middle set of side trim looks to be from a 23nd Series placed to align with the lowest grille bar and pass the top of the fender skirt opening. The lowest trim looks to be 23rd Series, cut to match the others, replacing the 22nd Series pieces.

Interesting, the smaller Eight-Super Eight upper grille has had a Custom-Super Deluxe egg-crate grille trimmed and inserted. There are only four horizontal bars whereas usually there are five. Its manual shift and the dash instruments are 22nd Series, the belt-line molding is the narrow Super Eight type. It has Custom Eight wheel cover cloisonne centers.

What else did I miss or miss-identify? I would guess it was a period custom done in those years immediately after the Monte Carlo by Henney was shown, maybe by a Packard dealer.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/2/18 13:31
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
<i>"Someone went to a lot of trouble and effort to build their version of a Monte Carlo convertible; etc."</i>

Excellent eye ball detective work there, Steve!

Posted on: 2018/2/18 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Is the underlying car based on a Custom 8 or a Super Eight Deluxe? Clearly it's 23rd series but standard shift and the trunk lid trim (as best I can see it) says it's based on a Super Eight Deluxe, not a Custom 8 convertible.

I'd love to see the patent plate and Briggs body number!

I have the body number and serial plate info from many years ago buried in my records. I'm certainly familiar with this vehicle.

I will say one thing. While the fellow holding this car on that fork lift grins, the drive shaft is likely being bent. This is what usually happens to old cars lifted this way. Often the damage may not even be obvious... but it usually shows up under driving if not in visible bends or dents.

Of course as one can see, the logo is cast metal and this is certainly not a home-built backyard thingie. Known of it for decades. Good to see it is going to a good home where it will be loved.

Posted on: 2018/2/18 14:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Steve:

If the convertible were built legitimately by or for PMCC, one could expect that it might share the same chassis with its companion car, the 2-door hardtop. How about applying your (most impressive) eagle eye to that vehicle and seeing what you come up with for the underlying chassis?

Dave

Posted on: 2018/2/18 15:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Dave

I'll posit the only relationship between this convertible and the Monte Carlo by Henney is the former is an aftermarket customizing job inspired by latter, copying as many of the styling hallmarks as was possible on a limited budget. Further, there was no involvement by PMCC directly or indirectly in the creation of this convertible, only the possibility of a Packard dealer having a used Super Eight customized for personal or promotional use. The early 1950's were a hotbed of car customizing to create unique, individualized cars. This 'Monte Carlo' convertible isn't much more than an individual paint and trim effort.

From examining the photos in Mr. Neal's book on page 203 of the Monte Carlo by Henney, it was based on a 1949 22nd Series Custom Eight convertible. The long hood proportions of the 127" wb stands out, as well as the wide Custom only chrome belt molding. Oddly enough in lowering the upper grille, it appears as if they simply cut the standard part as a dark line is visible in the chrome. Haven't been able to identify where the taillights came from. There is a strange inconsistency at the base of the fins: the profile view shows the trim going all the way to the end; in the rear three quarters view, the trim ends several inches forward. It doesn't appear to be a function of the viewing angle. That certainly is a grossly large emblem above the front wheelhouse. In order to partly close the wheelhouse, they had to 'puff-out' the surface surrounding it. Presumably, all the modifications and additions were built of steel and glass since Henney had the capability rather than fiberglass and plexi-glass, though both were coming into use at the time.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/2/19 8:52
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
The man in Florida who bought the convertible Monte Carlo has been in contact with me. He and the car arrived safely in Florida last night. He sent photos. I'll be posting them for my "Gear Head Tuesday" blog post and will put the link up here at this thread.

LIke Steve, he is of the opinion that the convertible Monte Carlo is likely a dealer conversion.

The car, which has languished for years, is now in a "loving home" and will be fully restored.

Posted on: 2018/2/19 8:59
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Geoffrey Hacker
See User information
Hi Gang....

I'm the guy in Florida who has the Packard Monte Carlo.

I appreciate all the information shared about the background on this Packard. It helps in determining what exactly this is and is not.

Steve.....can I reach out to you via phone or e-mail and ask some questions as well. Here's my contact information for any of you who wish to contact me:

Geoff Hacker
6306 Memorial Highway
Tampa, Florida 33615
(813) 888-8882

Thanks guys...it's very exciting to have found this car and I'll do my best to make you proud on its recovery and restoration.

Best to all....

Geoff

Posted on: 2018/2/19 15:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
Geoff - It's great to see you here at PackardInfo!

You'll find a wealth of information here.

As we discussed last night, start a project blog here. It's a great way of sharing your progress and also a great way to get help when you run into a snag.

Posted on: 2018/2/19 15:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
Geoff - you can register your Packard here:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/

Posted on: 2018/2/19 15:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Geoffrey Hacker,
to PackardInfo where plenty of friendly, knowledgeable and experienced Packard people are willing to help others.

Agree with the Project Blog suggestion and with including your Monte Carlo Convertible in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Edit - Geoff, if it's OK with you, I'll try and include the photos from Facebook here, so that those who don't have Facebook access can see what the excitement is about?

Posted on: 2018/2/19 17:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved