Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 ... 72 »

Re: Mike's 53 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
OK! A few weeks ago I mediablasted the fenders clean, and used a rust converter (Fertan) to stop any little rust that was left on the fenders and hood. It also prevents flash rusting after mediablasting and washing with soap and water. Today I picked up the two front fenders and hood from the painter. They did a final sanding and used 3.5 liters of epoxy primer.
Next I will paint the inside surfaces black. That includes the underside of the hood, and insides of the fenders.

Should all the black surfaces on the hood/fenders be gloss, or a low-gloss/satin? sorry the pic is a cell-phone pic.
Thanks guys!

Attach file:

jpg  (86.27 KB)
657_5460f7500e3e2.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2014/11/10 12:35
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Some more progress, and fun times bolting parts together! Last week I put 2 coats of black semigloss and then a final coat of gloss black on the fenders and hood. I mounted the fenders and a handfull of other engine compartment pieces that attach to the fenders. It all still needs some straightening on the panel gaps, but at least things are together.
I also mounted the hood, but if I close the hood, it is currently mounted too far towards the back of the car, and rubs on the firewall. To pull it forward, do I have to loosed the hinge to the firewall, or can I adjust this from the hood/hinge interface?
Here is a pic of how things are starting to come together again. I also drained the water I had in the cooling system, and replaced with a 50/50 destilled water and anti-freeze mix. Getting ready for winter!
Cheers, Mike

Attach file:

jpg  (106.82 KB)
657_547232b45ec7c.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2014/11/23 14:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Not much going on, but still tryin'
I was able to adjust the panel gaps a little bit, but need a helper one of these days to get things better. Hood is on, and trunk and the panels between the body and bumpers are also in primer.
I just put the bumper on the front so I could take a picture...Replacing the clutch on my VW daily driver and other winter jobs have been keeping me from getting too much time on the packard.
If things go well, a paint job might be on the agenda for winter/spring.

Attach file:

jpg  (104.56 KB)
657_5492e95fa192f.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2014/12/18 9:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tobs, nice looking work on the front end sheet metal.

Many here have cautioned about using distilled water in the cooling systems of our Packards. You may want to drain and refill with a mixture of anti-freeze and de-ionized water, or use the premixed solutions that are now available.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/12/18 11:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
looking great. Panel gaps and alignment is time consuming and tedious work and most important in the final out come. I have not searched back and read the whole blog so not sure how much was disassembled ie frame on or off etc. Just be sure on a frame on approach- study the vertical gaps door to body and trailing edge of frt fender to leading edge of frt door. I have found many a tight gap at the bottom and a larger gap near the top. It seems the rad core support isolators seem to crush, sag more. Dont be afraid to shim up the whole frt clip to restore all orig gaps and alignment. keep up the good fight and happy holidays to all!

Posted on: 2014/12/19 21:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I am suspicious that there is much of a difference between destilled water mixed with anti-feeze and de-ionized water mixed with antifreeze. I would imagine that the rust-inhobitors that are included in the anti-freeze would take care of the extra volatility of the destilled water....However, I now know that there is suche a thing called 'entionisiertes wasser' or 'vollentsalztes wasser' so, I will see if I can find a place where I can buy it locally.
Since the de-ionized water is really just normal water with the minerals taken out of it, is it possible to boil water a few times to get the minerals out? Here in Munich we get our drinking water from the alps, and it is full of calcium. My tea-kettels gets full of white calcium that you need to use vinegar to clean. Can I just boil tap water to make my de-ionized water? I guess to really make pure water you would have to boil and collect the water that evaporates. I am not going to do that, but would just boil the water if that is allowed...
Sending my front blinkers off for a new mirror finish. Hope that looks good. I'll know in about 7 weeks. (should only cost 15? per blinker) Last weekend I cleaned up the window and door mechanics and painted the bottom of the valances between the body and fenders black. After the holidays I am meeting with a painter! Hope he likes what he sees for bodywork.
Oh, I had the complete fram-off, so the rubber body and radiator mounts are all new... Happy Holidays

Posted on: 2014/12/23 3:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
.. is it possible to boil water a few times to get the minerals out? Here in Munich we get our drinking water from the alps, and it is full of calcium. My tea-kettels gets full of white calcium that you need to use vinegar to clean. Can I just boil tap water to make my de-ionized water?

You really want to avoid the use of water high in calcium (so-called "hard" water) in your cooling system for the reason you already note with your tea kettle. Simply boiling water will not change the mineral content.

To keep it simple - deionized water is produced by a chemical process using a chemical resin bed that exchanges harmful minerals and other ions for other ions that are not problematic and it would be the best choice; most (all?) premixed antifreezes use deionized or DI water - check the label. Household water "softeners" are partial deionizers that should effectively remove calcium, magnesium, and other metallic ions though generally not to the same degree as the best deionized water (produced from "mixed bed resins"), I'd think "softened" water from such a system should be fine.

Distilled water is obtained by condensing the steam from boiling water from a vapor back into a liquid, the minerals etc. remain in the boiling pot and do not pass into the steam. I've mixed my permanent antifreeze with distilled water for decades with no problem, though some suggest that being "metallic ion free", it will look to extract metallic ions from the metals of your engine. I'm not really qualified to say whether that is a possibility worthy of concern or not, but I rather doubt it.

I don't know if the anti-corrosion chemical packages in permanent antifreezes have any effect on the deposits that might be caused by hard water, but I'm doubtful of that as well.

Posted on: 2014/12/23 9:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi Dave, I was hoping the chemist would weigh in on this topic. For The record, I was not suggesting to mix anti-freeze with hard water, but with destilled water. That's what I have in the car now.
I was speculating that the rust inhibitors in the anti freeze would prevent the destilled water from pulling ions out of the cooling jacket, but that may be wrong. I have read that clean rain water is also good to use. Anyway, hard water is bad, destilled is better or most likely ok, and de-ionized water is also good, and perhaps the coolant that nobody has a problem with.
Frohe Weihnachten!
Mike

Posted on: 2014/12/24 2:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Well, a paint and body guy looked at my car, and is preparing a list of materials and costs for my car. The good news, he wasn't shocked by the bodywork that has been done so far. I am still waiting on a price estimate, so no heart attack yet. The trunk lid is on for now, and I rough sanded and 'Owatrol oiled' the inside of the bumpers. This is like linseed oil, and soaks into the rust and is supposed to seal everything off. It is what Hans? the guy in Holland used on his patina 54 clipper. It should conserve my driver chrome from rusting out from the backside! Here is a current pic...slowly but moving forwards.

Attach file:

jpg  (155.56 KB)
657_54b3c2b26e3cb.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2015/1/12 7:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
blurry shot of body

Attach file:

jpg  (103.93 KB)
657_54b3c31a7ed3f.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2015/1/12 7:50
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 ... 72 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved