Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Replace fuel sender 1947 Custom Super Clipper.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Just got the car. Is removing the fuel sender just a matter of peeling back the carpet, exposing the fuel sender and removing it?

Thanks...

Posted on: 2015/9/30 13:49
 Top  Print 

Re: Replace fuel sender 1947 Custom Super Clipper.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, you'll need to drop the tank. Don't we all wish Packard would have been as thoughtful as Chrysler Corp. and put an access panel in the trunk floor.

Posted on: 2015/9/30 13:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It's not too late to do that. Not sure of other years but 56 has a trunk mat to cover up the destruction of the trunk floor virginity.

(Did you know that 64 T-birds have a drain hole in the top of the tank??)

Posted on: 2015/9/30 15:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Thanks guys...Just filled tank! Guess it will b spring before all that gas is burned!!

Attach file:

jpg  (88.10 KB)
74962_560c4a7b37c9f.jpg 1280X723 px

Posted on: 2015/9/30 15:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I have not checked my 47 tank but the 49 Packard I had there was a drain plug. Removing the tank is not that big of a deal. The other thing is to determine if it is the sender or the gage. At least on the 49 ground the wire that goes to the sender-if gage reads full it is the sender.

Posted on: 2015/9/30 16:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I believe all Packards had a drain plug. My point about the T-bird was that it was on TOP of the tank. A little difficult to drain from that position.

Posted on: 2015/9/30 17:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
If someone has put a electric pump back close to the tank with rubber hoses it is possible to interrupt the ground-easy to check with jumper wire from tank to frame.

Posted on: 2015/9/30 19:42

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Question is the gage not reading-or is it the movement of the needle when the car is moving? My 47 Super Clipper the fuel gage is always bouncing when car is moving-it is not rock steady as in a modern car.

Posted on: 2015/10/1 19:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

packard1949 wrote:
Question is the gage not reading-or is it the movement of the needle when the car is moving? My 47 Super Clipper the fuel gage is always bouncing when car is moving-it is not rock steady as in a modern car.

It should be steady. The gauge on the 47 is magnetic so unlike the later thermal gauges it is fast to respond to any change in resistance. Could be a poor ground at the tank or gauge or possibly a connection is vibrating and poor contact is effectively changing resistance or supply voltage making the needle bounce.

The resistance wire in the sender is supported on a curved strip of phenolic or thick fishpaper. The wire could be dirty and oxidized or support is warped and the wiper is barely making contact with the wire so any sloshing would change resistance by a large amount.

The 47 uses Stewart-Warner gauges and the senders are the old obsolete resistance range of 0 full - 100 ohms empty. If your sender is bad I haven't found anything made today with that resistance range that looks to be a drop in. There is a unit from an Australian company that might be a possibility with a rework and different hole or adapter but at the moment believe the only good option is an exchange from the vendors or having yours rebuilt.

Posted on: 2015/10/1 19:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
You said you just filled the tank, and don't plan on it being empty until spring. If you use ethanol gas I would look into some treatment for the gas or just drain the gas out. This new gas does not last like it did in the old days.
Just my two cents.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/10/2 7:21
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved