Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 paint colors and codes and thief proof (theft proof ) numbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
There is a 55 clipper for sale on ebay that seems to be a very original car. I am very interested in the engine color. Is this car owned or known by anyone here on the forum? it is an arizona car and seems to have the shannon green engine color. Is this orig? Seems to be the same as when I got my Clipper and I would be very interested to know if this is a 222XXX T P number car or a D22xxx. It seems to be a ps p/antenna, dual heat car with washer and coordinator but seems to have had what looks to be heat damage to the coordinator and plastic cover on the washer. Is this engine a repaint or original? Is this a Custom Clipper fully loaded with power windows,seat, wonderbar etc?

Posted on: 2015/10/3 16:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 paint colors and codes and thief proof (theft proof ) numbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Engine color is correct for a 55 Clipper Custom. Supers and Deluxe cars got tomato soup red engines.

No power seat or windows as the relay and circuit breaker is not mounted.

The car looks wonderfully solid, but I am doubting the 9500 miles: engine is missing a bit too much paint and there are signs of heavy diddling not usually seen on low mileage cars. The fuel line, plug wires, and battery cables have all been changed; not likely at that mileage.

Also curious is all the red oxide primer showing on the front fenders. Those parts were all dipped in black enamel for priming. Only the bodies were sprayed with red oxide. Those wiper coordinator bodies are very tough; I'd guess an underhood fire sometime in the distant past.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 18:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not sure why you say the car would be in the D22XXX range, the 1955 cars ranged from C91168 to D59057.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 22:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Thanks for the info Ross. So the engine color in a light green is correct and standard for Clipper Custom. Is this for all Clipper Customs or just those in the Green paint and trim? I was interested because I have seen red and gold used in other cars. I am interested in the paint code for the engine and firewall and the dash. These cars, mine included, in A-B code tourmaline and jade seem to have a dark green dash and the engine and firewall seem to be a shade lighter than the exterior paint-more like the 56 Shannon. Maybe it is just the fading and thinning of the paint with the red primer showing through but this car as well as mine when I acquired it seem to have a distinct shade difference between the exterior paint and the firewall.
I ask about the T P because I cant see the first digit in the pix and I am still looking for info on any Clipper Customs and esp any lower trim level Clippers with a 222XXX T P and their respective run #s as I believe they are all grouped near the middle of their respective 55 model year runs. I have posted this request before and received no responses on any supers etc.

Posted on: 2015/10/4 8:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
So the engine color in a light green is correct and standard for Clipper Custom. Is this for all Clipper Customs or just those in the Green paint and trim?

Engine color designates a particular engine series and is applied irrespective of the body paint color. The exception to this is those factory service replacement engines that were accidently painted incorrectly - see Service Technical Bulletin 55T-33.

Posted on: 2015/10/4 8:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
A search here does show there were only a few dash paint colors so any and all light and dark green cars would get the dark green dash and any red interior cars got the 1 red dash etc. I am surprised by the lack of tar based undercoat in the wheel wells and the red primer on the rf inner fender as was mentioned above. If this is a southern car perhaps these did not get the heavy undercoat treatment as discussed in my question in an earlier thread?
Thanks Howard for the 56 illustration showing where the factory sound deadener was applied. But a southern car with the underseat heater option seems even stranger.
I am just trying to get info on the way these cars were delivered from the factory as there were some differing opinions on this the first time i posted queries.

Posted on: 2015/10/4 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Thanks Dave. Got the engine info now. So the firewall is the same as the engine? Or the upper trim or lower trim? Any idea of a paint code for the dash and engine besides the enamels offered to cross to the more up to date paint cross ref charts?

Posted on: 2015/10/4 8:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
So the firewall is the same as the engine?

No. The engine is an engine color, the firewall is a body color; that they may be similar on your car is coincidence.

Posted on: 2015/10/4 10:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Has anyone used the PPG Ditzler paint cross ref chart?
It has the codes for most makes and models going back to the twenties in alot of cases and and the online version will let you pick a color pallet and search all the greens or blues on one page that were offered from a manufacturer starting at the earliest paint code. there are also comments as to the paint use on rims etc. Quite a comprehensive listing for Packard going way back. I see the codes for Tourmaline, Jade. and Shannon but there are no notes or listings for the dk gr on the dash. Any ideas or is it just a select a close match.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 17:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
From post above O D wrote Not sure why you say the car would be in the D22XXX range, the 1955 cars ranged from C91168 to D59057.

No ,not D22xx. I do realize the normal T P run for 55 is as you have said- C9116x-D59057. I was asking again about any new info on Clippers other than ours without a C or a D as the first digit of the T P. Such as 222XXX. I an interested in this strange occurance.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 17:39
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved