Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
61 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Weren't column-shifts initially unreliable?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I read somewhere--perhaps here--that the first column-shifts were not very reliable and caused a whole host of problems. If so, how long was it before column-shifts became reliable?

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/10/6 11:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Weren't column-shifts initially unreliable?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Old-time cane shifts had very few moving parts, the cane used a ball & socket to permit the cane motion and the end directly engaged the shifter rails so the action was direct, no lost motion, and almost nothing to wear. Early column shifts had lots of links and rods with many places for wear to occur, not to mention misadjustment by those trying to solve the wear problem without replacing worn parts. Also column shifts can be abused by drivers not deliberately following the "H" pattern but rather just ramming from first to second - that really beats the links and joints. And these problems were well distributed through the industry, not just a Packard growing pain.

So, unreliable? I don't think that's the correct word. Complex and prone to wear, abuse and mis-adjustment would be my description. As years went by the linkages evolved and became simplier and more robust. Certainly the new Packard linkage for 1951 was far superior to it's predecessors.

Posted on: 2015/10/6 12:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Thank you the informative reply. Yes, I agree, "unreliable" was not the right word. When I was writing the initial posting, I couldn't really come up with a more appropriate word to characterize the problematic aspects of a column shift. I guess "problematic" is the word I should have used.

My late father always extolled the virtues of a floor-shift as opposed to a column shift, echoing what you said about the floor-shift being a much simpler mechanism and not as prone to "hanging up" like a column shift.

I don't guess there are any cars still made with a column-shift.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/10/6 13:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some of the more interesting column shifts were some European cars with 4-speed on the column, Sunbeam Alpines, Triumph 2-liter roadsters, etc. Most of those had an interlock for engaging reverse, pulling the knob outwards on the Triumph. Also some curiosities with US column shifts, for some years Nash used the shift lever to engage the starter; key on, pull the lever towards you in neutral [or was it push away from you]. And then the variety of vacuum-assisted column shifts, Hudson, Cord, Chevrolet, perhaps others, all of which were rather quickly abandoned.

Posted on: 2015/10/6 14:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The Packard units were inferior to Cadillac. The Packard setup was a converted floor shift transmission whereas General Motors designed the side loader trans specifically for a column shift. The old Chevys, Fords, and Chryslers were great, although they could lock up if you didn't know how to drive. The Nash/Rambler column shift was junk.

Peugeot, Citroen, and Saab used column shifts that were trouble free. This is especially surprising given their other shortcomings; except for the Peugeot 404 which was one of the twenty or so best cars ever made. Renault used a column shift on the R-16. I miss the column shift, however they were never intended for speed shifting.

Posted on: 2015/10/6 16:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
When training a newbie on column shift I always explain that they are not for shifting gears, they are for selecting gears.

Posted on: 2015/10/6 16:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ross, that's just excellent instruction, wish I would have thought of that myself but rest assured I'll use it in the future!

See you at Hershey Saturday?

Dave

Posted on: 2015/10/6 17:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Will be at Hershey Wed- Thurs- Fri at C4G-19,20, or at any tent where there is free food.

Posted on: 2015/10/6 19:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
The odd pairing, composed of column-shift and rear engine/rear gear box is noteworthy. Not unreliable but "borderline ingenious".

Click to see original Image in a new window

Tatra 603-2

image source: sestsettrojka.euweb.cz

Posted on: 2015/10/6 22:41
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I remember driving a very old 2cv in France, it didn't have column shift but you shifted (or selected) with a gear shifter coming straight out of the dash. Another fun little nugget about it; 2cv stands for "2 cheveaux" which means "2 horses" in France as in horse power. Needless to say the engine was the size of a sowing machine.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 6:32
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved