Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Weren't column-shifts initially unreliable?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
L-29 Cords (front wheel drive) also had the shift control mounted thru the dashboard, over the top of the engine to the forward-mounted transmission. It's the chrome-plated rod in this photo; note the rubber guide rollers. It was functional though without much feel and precision, probably why Cord tried something else and switched to the steering column-mounted vacuum/electric preselector shift on the 810/812 Cords, a system which was even less satisfactory.

Attach file:

jpg  (129.92 KB)
177_56151b5ab5094.jpg 1280X854 px

Posted on: 2015/10/7 8:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I drove a 39 Six sedan in high school. My father changed the column shift to cane shift. He was thinking, and correctly, that his son would be tempted to try and speed shift and cause damage to the transmission. The cane shift was a practical solution to youth inspired driving.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/10/7 10:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The cane shift was a practical solution to youth inspired driving.

The downside was that it was a hindrance to snuggling up with your gal.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 11:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
But still better than today's bucket seats and consoles.
And by shifting in 3rd, you shift right through to her left leg

Were there conversion kits on the market to make regular cane shift out of a column shifter? And if there were, are they still available?

Posted on: 2015/10/7 11:28
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The "kit" as you say was the option, 1939 was the last year that cane shift was standard equipment. Except on the Twelve where the column shift option was very expensive (as the Twelve was still using essentially the same transmission introduced in 1932), it was inexpensive and an easy changeover.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Owen,
Actually, per the 1939 sales catalogs, 1939 was the first year column shift, aka, Handi Shift, was part of the standard priced vehicle.
In 39, Packard had issues with the linkage in that the open rubber inserts (in the bell crank arms on the transmission) would quickly wear, tear and disintegrate resulting in a large amount of play in the linkage.

This could then result in the transmission being in two gears at once, locking it. At minimum, you would not have positive feel for what gear you're in. Given the fact that the engine/transmission is suspended in rubber and the steering column is not, there will also be movement of the shifter anytime the engine reacts to torque.

Packard quickly offered the crank arms with no rubber inserts, just properly sized holes in the steel.

My 39 had its original rubber inserts, which did indeed deteriorate. After replacing the arms, and proper adjustment, the shift is now smooth, positive and effortless. One could also close the holes with weld and redrill.
PM

Posted on: 2015/10/11 18:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just checking myself and it appears I'm both half-right and half-wrong; Handi-shift optional at extra cost on the Super Eight and Twelve, standard equipment on the 110 and 120. That info from the 1939 Salesman's Data Book.

Posted on: 2015/10/11 20:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I have never seen a picture of Handi-shift on a Twelve, which used the tried and true Senior Transmission from the very early Thirties. Does anyone have a pic? PT

Posted on: 2015/10/12 3:03
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've seen but one, a convertible coupe. I do have a picture if only I can find it.

Posted on: 2015/10/12 8:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
My 39 V12 has the three on the tree. I'll try to take a picture in the next few days

Posted on: 2015/10/12 9:19
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved