Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1956 Twin Ultramatic Repair in Atlanta Area
Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Dear Fellow V-8 Enthusiasts,

Due to illness, our 56 Patrician has developed two major problems:

a. Gas pouring out of the "Newly Rebuilt" carb
b. Transmission fluid pouring from EVERYWHERE!

I would like to know if anyone has had a good experience with mechanic/s in the Atlanta area (I live in Palmetto, near Newnan) who are specifically knowledgeable about the 55-56 Packard. Our car will have to be towed.

Any information would be most appreciated!
John McCall

Posted on: 2015/10/11 14:30
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Twin Ultramatic Repair in Atlanta Area
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might contact Don Taccone in Birmingham, Alabama. Don has at least a half-dozen V8 Packards, knows them very well, and does considerable service work on them. Either he might be able to help of know someone nearer to you.

Regarding (a), perhaps just a stuck needle and seat, have you tried a gentle tap on the carburetor at the fuel inlet?

Posted on: 2015/10/12 8:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
trans, I would check oil lines, manual shift seal, both sides.
trans cooler,

Posted on: 2015/10/12 15:16
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Greetings, and thanks for your thoughtful response. I have had a near-lifetime friendship with Donald Taccone and he is indeed one of the finest V-8 Packard technicians. He is just not doing anything as involved as rebuilding Ultramatics anymore--time for a rest he says. We have indeed tapped on the carb with a soft hammer but no luck yet. In the meantime I have had two responses with possible servicemen near Atlanta that come highly recommended. One of the greatest assets of being a Packard owner is the support and friendships one enjoys...you included. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2015/10/13 7:22
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Riki, this is an excellent suggestion and we will follow through with these checks. The Patrician drove almost perfectly when we moved it from Valdosta to Palmetto in North Georgia a few months ago, and the transmission used or released, I should say, little fluid (especially for an Ultramatic). Perhaps this sudden huge leak is due to one of the areas of your suggestion. We are not experts in transmission issues, so your ideas are most welcomed. We will keep you posted!

Posted on: 2015/10/13 7:27
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
another one the front seal,,torque converter,, never seen one go that bad ,,unless it was hard and cracked...

Posted on: 2015/10/13 12:09
Riki
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

paintdaddy
See User information
Just wondering if you found anyone to build your transmission,I might be able to help

Posted on: 2016/9/4 14:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Listen take this advice from me-I own a 1955 400 and have had three Ultramatics replaced in this car over the years-none of the rebuilds lasted for more than 2 years. In my opinion if you have a bad one DONT TRY TO FIX IT. Contact a company called Bendtsens. When my last Ultramatic died I swore my car would never see another one. It now runs with a GM 700r overdrive transmission. It has more power, gets way better gas mileage than it had ever had with ultramatic. I never have to worry about the car playing out on the side of the road. You will thank me.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 3:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Oh and as for the carb, send it to Daytona Carburetor and have them rebuild it with NEW FLOATS. I belive they are the only place around that manufactures new floats for the 4GC Rochester, which of course the majority of problems with carbs can be traced to repaired/leaking floats. THEY HAVE THE NEW ONES-give them a try.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 4:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I will have to respectfully disagree on the necessity replace Ultramatic transmissions. Although I can not speak to your specific triad failures I can say this:

100% of every Ultramatic that I have had to repair for customers that had Ultramatics rebuilt by general builders were NOT rebuilt correctly. there is a lot more to a rebuild than just replacing seals and clutch packs, Fit tolerances are critical and often overlooked. Although yes, you can rebuild without "special tools" Having these proper tools help ensure a proper job.

2nd major issue is driving abuse. Most who have upgraded to 700R's support your comments of car having better performance. There in lies the misconception. Packards are not performance or, "zippy" cars, they are "crusiers" Ultramatics are NOT designed to "Kick down" and zoom on command from the gas peddle. Many, many failures result from this type abuse.

Rebuilt, and driven correctly, Ultramatcs will last indefinitely. I have Ultramtics driving on 3 of seven contents with greater than the 2 year timeline. As far as I know, I am the only one who gives a 1 Year warranty on ultramatics, If they weren't reliable, I couldn't do that.

Keep the Ultramatic, Keep the car original as designed, find a Qualified re-builder not just someone who says they can and enjoy the drive of a true Packard.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 6:50
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved