Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1956 Twin Ultramatic Repair in Atlanta Area
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Simple solution to both problems and many others. If your Packard of any year is not a top performer and needs more repairs and attention, if your 50-54 Ultramatic has to go on a lift to check the fluid level, if your Treadle Vac fails after 20 years of neglect and if your straight 8 needs a valve job after 40,000 miles the most important thing you can do is buy a new Lexus. They never break but you can't find yours in a parking lot

Posted on: 2016/9/28 7:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I agree with TroyT. Mine was rebuilt in '92 and I have driven all over the country in it. My odometer read 72K when I started and reads 8K now. I've been to Detroit twice, the finger Lakes region of NY, Virginia, and Maryland. I do prefer originality. I might enjoy fuel injection though

Posted on: 2016/9/28 8:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I have 1k or so on my reengineered ultra. I would still get off the babbit bushings

My only problem is when cold does not fully go into gear..as long as i warm it up no problem.

But its shifts firm .and sometimes smooth..i like the firm so you know it up shifted..still playing with t pressure. Once in awhile i will get flare. I have read the service letters on it.

Of coarse if ross drove it. He would pin it down..,

I live on a foothill so i have to go und down hills.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 17:56
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Whatever you do DO NOT SEND your treadle vac to White Post-get it to Ross Miller, after white post mickey-moused mine I had him rebuild it and haven't had a problem since.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 16:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
WauhopM, what was the problem with White Post, I sent them all my brake cylinders and master cylinder and they came back looking like new and with a fast turn around. But this was a standard single brake system.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/9/30 8:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Packards are not performance or, "zippy" cars, they are "crusiers" Ultramatics are NOT designed to "Kick down" and zoom on command from the gas peddle. Many, many failures result from this type abuse.

Troy, agree completely. The TU is only reliable if driven gently. To my shame, I destroyed my first one at age 16, in my parents '56 Hudson Hornet, but then, it was the most unfortunately styled car ever built and too ugly to live, anyway.

I build Packard V8s for many '56 Studebaker Golden Hawks. They're a performance car, but only for a little while. When new and driven like the sports car they were sold as, the TU usually failed before the engine dropped a valve.

Today, we know to use hardened valve spring retainers to make the engine live, but AFAIK, there's no known way to make the TU live when driven sportingly.

jack vines

Posted on: 2016/9/30 9:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Well white post snagged me with the LIFETIME WARRANTY and I sent my unit to them-after I had the twin Ultra replaced with the 700r the brakes failed-so I sent it back to them. They sent it back to me and I asked them what went wrong with the unit-THEY COULDN'T TELL ME, Then as a Christmas gift to myself I had my regular mechanic install four new brake shoes on the car-The car accelerated the pedal went to the floor and a large amount of smoke came out of my tailpipe-luckily I was able to shift into neutral and stop the car on the parking brake. Then I wizened up and took the unit to Ross Miller he identified THREE MAJOR PROBLEMS with the unit when he rebuilt it I havent had a problem since. THE MORAL IS TRUST ME DO NOT SEND THE TREADLE VAC TO WHITE POST!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2016/9/30 18:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
WauhopM, Understandable. I don't like surprises and lack of information doesn't help.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/10/1 10:49
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
We just had our '56 Patrician return home from Ross Miller's Speedwell Garage after a full Twin Ultramatic rebuild. Needless to say, we are EXTREMELY pleased with Ross' work! The old girl shifts smartly and positively.
Ros is THE MAN when it comes to things of this nature!

Posted on: 2016/10/4 9:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
No argument there-Ross is the best!

Posted on: 2016/10/7 3:42
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved