Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 172

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

v8 Air Cleaner
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
The GM type oil bath air cleaner for the four barrel is really messy. Anyone converted the inside so it can take a more efficient K&N filter ? Even in car shows, no one would know it's in there, even the judges!

Posted on: 2015/11/6 21:57
 Top  Print 

Re: v8 Air Cleaner
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I converted the air cleaner on my 55 Clipper to take a modern pleated paper element. It is described in my project blog. Here is a link to the page in the blog describing the conversion. I did it so that it could be converted back to the oil bath function should a future owner so desire. No permanent changes were made. Others here have done something similar and may offer their advice.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7272&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=40

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/11/6 22:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I did the same thing as JW, only with a k&n. See my blog.

Posted on: 2015/11/6 23:20
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Do you have the clipper snorkle style or the AC dual inlet oil bath? There may be an easier way for the latter that does not involve any modification from stock. Just a reminder to all V8 ers out there. Now is the time to change the oil as per the sve manual- remove and clean out the 50W and install 20W for winter!

Posted on: 2015/11/7 10:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
I did my original oil bath, hiding under the dual inlet (GM-type) for the Rochester 4-bl a few weeks ago. I changed the oil but this time I paid closer attention of all that mesh to see what it prevented being swallowed by the 374. About all I could find were hundreds of now-translucent insect wings. There's no telling how long these have been there. The oil in the base was clean and new looking. After some reverse air-blasting and swishing around in old gas, I had to still do some picking around with tweezers to remove more insect wings that had still survived all this activity. Not that this would be consequential, but are these things the most durable things prevented by this ancient air cleaning system? It was almost like being an archeologist while pouring over this metal mesh. Painstaking work like this, where no one gets hurt, is sometimes the most satisfying of having an old Packard. Tossing a used old paper element filter doesn't compare.

Posted on: 2015/11/7 11:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Well , for most of us who are aging and enjoy driving them and want to avoid dealing with caustic skin and lung damaging chemicals and have spent a lifetime dealing with the above-the novelty of what you speak has worn off and one would be crazy not to put the oil bath on the shelf for a paper element.

Posted on: 2015/11/7 16:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can avoid the toxicity issues by using charcoal lighter solvent for cleaning. I know it's messy, but the oil bath filter is a more efficient filter than the paper element.

Posted on: 2015/11/7 19:14
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
As of now I have an aftermarket aircleaner with the K&N, and noticed that it has 10 more HP. The stock aircleaner has the dual intake GM, AC aircleaner that fits on the four barrel Rochester carburetor. Would rather have the stock aircleaner with an undetectable K&N. To each his own, but I'm tired of the mess!
At Hot August Nights, a '55 Chevy Convertible won best of show, original, and the owner whispered to me that he had an K&N filter inside his oil bath, and that it gave him at least 10 more HP.

Posted on: 2015/11/7 21:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Want even more HP?- remove the filter completely.

Posted on: 2015/11/7 22:06
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
No thanks, don't want dirt in my engine.

Posted on: 2015/11/7 22:21
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved