Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

vibration dampener question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
My '49 has a 1954 327 engine in it. The timing cover plates were all changed over to accommodate the early style front motor mount. I noticed when I started working on the engine that the vibration dampener/ pulley rubs on the motor mount. I thought at first it was because they reused the rubber mounting pads, but after replacing them with new ones and reinstalling the mount, the dampener still rubs on the mount. Did the later engines use a larger diameter pulley/ dampener or am I missing something? Thanks!
Kevin

Posted on: 2015/11/8 19:57
 Top  Print 

Re: vibration dampener question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know how much difference there is in diameter of the damper but it would appear the pulley and belt position is different between the two engine mounting methods. Not the best illustrations since they are different angles but looking at the position of pulley in relation to the end of cam depression on the timing cover it could appear the older damper might be smaller. Another thing to consider is with the groove on the rear, the older dampers might have been positioned forward slightly more to clear the mount.

When instructions were given in 1953 Service Counselor Vol 27 #7 on installing the post 51 327 service engines in place of the 356 engine the old vibration damper was to be reinstalled on the new engine along with the regular transferred items such as generator and fan. I don't know if that was due to the groove for the extra wide belt used on the 356 being needed or because it needed the location of the groove.

Here is a couple of illustrations showing the difference.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.78 KB)
209_563ff61c9f3d5.jpg 680X702 px

jpg  (64.95 KB)
209_563ff626833ce.jpg 726X694 px

Posted on: 2015/11/8 20:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved