Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 71

Danny, TBrown, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

starting a 1951.....
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Reading through the starting procedure for a 1951 Packard. I do not see any mention of pushing down on the throttle to set the choke before starting? Is the starter only engaged when the key is turned on or will it engage anytime the throttle is depressed and the engine is not running?

John

Posted on: 2015/11/10 16:48
 Top  Print   

Re: starting a 1951.....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Normally starter is engaged by pressing acc when key is on and the engine is off and no vacuum is present. It will even crank if the key is on in the acc position but it won't start there because the coil isn't powered.

A bad scenario is once started, if something is preventing vacuum from raising the ball in the switch mechanism that provides the mechanical connection between accelerator linkage and the starting switch it can crank when the engine is running. Some models prior to 53 had a starter safety circuit to prevent that from happening.

I always do an initial push or two with key off and then turn key on and do the starting. If it has been a long time so carb is dry then after a few seconds of cranking I turn the key off and pump again. That is one reason the aux push buttons were popular with some. You can push the button to keep it cranking and pump to your hearts content -- not that pumping does much good if there is nothing in the carb to pump. Continuous cranking is also hard on the solenoid and starter.

Posted on: 2015/11/10 17:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved