Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
62 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

47 Not Charging
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Well here I go again, when will I learn not to take anything for granted. First tried to work on my Electromatic Clutch, found I had the wrong parts, started working on the Overdrive found I had a R-11 after reading all about the R-9. (Plus I do have the black relay box for the R-9). So while working on the Overdrive I noticed that the Amp Meter was always setting in the middle. So I figure lets get all the information and read up on checking the Charging System according to Packard. Well I was already to lick this problem, but something wasn't working according to the manuals. Not something but everything was coming up wrong. Found I had an American Bosch Generator rated at 6 volt and able to put out 60 Amps. Why in the world would I need 60 Amps? So after much back tracking I found out this is a "B" Circuit system, where Packard use an "A" Circuit system.
Also found a lot of good information searching this forum check this out:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10595&viewmode=compact&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0
Also after a week of reading and finally figuring out what I had I found my Generator is good and the Voltage regulator is causing the problems. I found if I apply pressure to the fixed arm for voltage control then it start charging. So I guess I need to start looking for a 6 Volt, Positive Ground, "B" Circuit, Voltage Regulator, that will be a good match for my GRC 660 B402 Generator. On the Generator it calls for a RGR 660 D101 Regulator, or that's what it looks like to me.

I guess I need to talk to Jason also and make sure I'm on the right track.

Also Check this out it's very good:https://books.google.com/books?id=X-MDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA181&dq=B+Circuit+popular+mechanics&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAGoVChMI-cTqtN-TyQIVgVEmCh2F0Qf6#v=onepage&q=B%20Circuit%20popular%20mechanics&f=false
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (92.19 KB)
1003_56492c25020f4.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (70.30 KB)
1003_56492c3a5dc20.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/11/15 20:03
 Top  Print   

Re: 47 Not Charging
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
American Bosch was one of several suppliers including Leece-Neville and Westinghouse who provided high output automotive generators to makers of fire engines, airport emergency vehicles and perhaps police cars, ambulances and other such specialty vehicles, that's probably where your unit came from. Wouldn't it be far easier to just source the correct generator/regulator combination?

Posted on: 2015/11/16 9:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks Owen for the information. I wasn't really thinking about changing it back, but that would be a better way to go. I do have a rust bucket car I could pull the generator off and use.
Thanks!
Wes

Posted on: 2015/11/16 13:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Sorry Wes, I just saw your message in the inbox here. I have replied to that as well, but thought I'd respond here as well.

If you want to just replace the regulator, I can supply you with a 6 Volt Positive Ground B-Circuit regulator. The only difference would be that the regulator I provide will limit your generators output to about 40 amps which is fine. I don't have one available that will allow the 60 amps that the generator is capable of. There is no risk in using the one I have that limits it to 40 amps, unless of coarse you think you need 60 amps which I highly doubt. Let me know. You can email me direct at jason@aerrebuild.com or call me toll-free at 866-228-0218.
Thanks,
Jason

Posted on: 2015/11/19 15:39
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks Jason, but I've already got one. Yes, I went with a 35 amp. I see no need to go higher then that. Maybe if I had a Fire Engine as this generator was designed for then it would be a different story.
Thanks again!
Wes

Posted on: 2015/11/21 15:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Closure, installed new voltage regulator, back in business.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/11/23 7:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved