Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

Ozstatman, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

56 Pwr steering
Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
Hi, Does anyone know if a Bendix system was meant for a V8 with single exhaust, & Monroe for dual exhaust? The Bendix has the ram forward & the Monroe rearward. Might be a good reason. I'm trying to install a Bendix in my 56 which has dual exhaust & the left pipe is right where the ram should go. I haven't got any pictures of a single system so I'm assuming the crossover was set back some to go to the right side. The Bendix stuff came out of a 55 if it would matter. Any ideas? Thanks

Posted on: 2015/11/18 16:36
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Pwr steering
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Originally the Bendix was on senior cars and Monroe the juniors but as production continued they sort of became intermixed. In 56 some seniors apparently came with Monroes. Because of the simplicity of the Monroe system there have been some Monroes installed by owners in place of Bendix. As long as the proper brackets are used the systems are interchangeable as far as any exhaust pipe interference.

The control valve is a few inches behind the ram on the Bendix so am a bit confused about why the ram is so far rearward on yours. Normally it would be in front of the cross or tie rod assy and angled slightly toward the front of car way ahead of any exhaust. Are you installing a complete system with all brackets included and out of a single car? Do you have everything as shown on plate 31C of parts manual?

Posted on: 2015/11/18 17:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My experience says 55 Packards had Bendix, Clippers had Monroe.
In 56 it was catch as catch can, whatever was available on the line. I had an original 56 with Monroe and had one with Bendix.
Personal preference is for Monroe (less hoses).

Posted on: 2015/11/18 17:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
Hi, I've got everything as in plate 31C. My centerlink/ power valve is not the problem. They fit fine behind the exhaust pipe. The problem is the exhaust pipe is in the way of the hydraulic ram ( #15.710) If I look at plate 31D it appears as that would fit fine since the ram is rearward. The car originally had P/S, changed to manual. I don't know which type. Also I don't know if this car had single or dual exhaust.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 18:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't have photos of a single exhaust but here is a photo showing the Bendix ram with a dual. The left pipe comes fairly far forward and then bends back to allow space to clear the ram.

There is an ebay item showing a crossover pipe for a Clipper and probably means the single exhaust. It too appears to have a fairly generous bend.http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Packard-Clipper-Front-Crossover-Pipe-465616-NOS-/321713850446?hash=item4ae7a3c84e:g:~aUAAOSw-7RVHYEN&vxp=mtr

Attach file:

jpg  (98.94 KB)
209_564d08722ed56.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/11/18 18:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
Thanks for the photo, I'll see how that compares to mine. Maybe my exhaust pipe has been modified. I don't have that kind of room at the present.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 20:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps this photo of my 56 Caribbean will also give you a better idea of the ram to exhaust clearance for a Bendix PS system. Dual exhaust of course on a Caribbean.

Attach file:

jpg  (96.66 KB)
177_564de2312da2f.jpg 1280X844 px

Posted on: 2015/11/19 9:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
Thanks for the pictures. The got me to look at things from a different angle. HH's exhaust pipe is fairly close to the crossmember, while mine is 3 3/4 inches away & only 1 inch from the centerlink. If my pipe was at a different angle, it would allow for access to install the ram. Since the manual steering that was installed years ago is from a 55, I suspect the exhaust pipe from that car also. My pipe comes down at a straighter angle than it should. The part numbers for 55 & 56 also differ.

Attach file:

jpg  (82.43 KB)
4013_564e677614a65.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (99.44 KB)
4013_564e67b915385.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/11/19 19:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved