Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Brakes & Drums on a '32 901
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I've taken over a restoration from the previous owner of the car. I'm checking the work he did when he rebuilt the brakes. The shoes are relined, new seals and bearings. When he installed the rear drums, he put grease on the tapered axle shaft. Should the drum and taper be left dry?

Posted on: 2015/11/19 14:31
 Top  Print 

Re: Brakes & Drums on a '32 901
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Absolutely dry and clean.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 14:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
DRY!

Posted on: 2015/11/19 14:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave & Ross,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I was certain they should be dry, but figured I'd double check with the "Pro's".

Thanks again

Posted on: 2015/11/19 14:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I'm still struggling with the brakes. I'm not sure about the spring that goes on the brake pedal as the one I thought was correct does not appear to be so.

Could someone out there take a few pictures of a '32' brake pedal & spring that show length and where it connects to the pedal & frame?

Posted on: 2015/12/1 20:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I know the 9th Series brakes are very different than the 10th thru the 14th and don't have any specific information on them but perhaps this illustration from the 33-36 Master Parts List will help.

PS - I just browsed the 7th-9th Series Parts List and there is a phantom view of the 901 brake system which shows a single frame-mounted return spring, completely different than the 33-36 system so ignore the above - do you have this? If not PM me with an email and I can forward it - not sure how much help it will be though.

Attach file:

jpg  (157.91 KB)
177_565f10444a761.jpg 1280X1124 px

Posted on: 2015/12/2 10:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me and the picture. Mine is similar. I'm certain that I know where the spring connects, but the one I have is about .5 to 1.0 inches too long to work properly.

I had been through the Parts and Service manuals before posting, but to no avail.

What I'm experiencing is one of the challenges in putting a car together that you buy when a lot of it is in boxes. And to add to the fun the parts are unlabeled and pieces that should be kept together are scatter in different boxes.

Oh well as the wife says, it keeps me out of trouble and "gives me something to do".

Posted on: 2015/12/2 11:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you're looking for a replacement or substitute spring I sometimes get lucky at local hardware stores which can have good assortments of generic springs. If not, you might try Century Spring, they have literally millions of stock springs and I've been quite successful with them over the years with many automotive springs. Click on "extension' from the menu bar.

http://www.centuryspring.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brBrand&gclid=CMPGs5_avckCFYr2HwodnFEHLA

Posted on: 2015/12/2 12:34
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved