Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Installing a heater in a 29 Packard
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
I'd like to install a heater into a 1929 Packard which never had one. One option is to use those connections which tap into the radiator hose.

Where can I get those things? And what are they called?

Any other suggestions to installing a heater? I don't want to drill a hole in the cylinder head.

Posted on: 2015/11/23 16:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Installing a heater in a 29 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've never seen the particular item in the photo you posted at the AACA site but if no info comes along with a source for that adapter there is a product from a company called KAT'S Heaters that might work -- although it wouldn't be as clean an install.

It is a connector for use with their engine heating units and from what I can see it is basically a tee fitting that inserts in the radiator hose. Downside is it is plastic but unlike some of the more typical hose adapter pieces it comes in several larger radiator hose sizes. Size goes as large as 2" but don't know if they have the one your 29 would need. No info on the heater hose size so that and being plastic may make it a non starter.

Sold by O'Reilly, Autozone, NAPA, Amazon and probably others. Do a search for Kats heater hose connector.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.52 KB)
209_5653e41a8681e.jpg 400X400 px

Posted on: 2015/11/23 23:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm pretty sure I've seen those radiator hose kits somewhere, most likely Restoration Specialties. A water return to the upper radiator hose is obvious, the more difficult question is where to source the hot water. If your car has a conventional temperature gauge sensor at the rear side of the cylinder head one option is to install a "T' fitting there to accommodate both the gauge sensor and a hot water outlet. The only problem would be that if you also fit a valve to shut the water supply to the heater, it will also inhibit the water flow to the gauge sensor and probably give false readings.

Posted on: 2015/11/24 10:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Out of curiosity what kind of heaters were available from the factory in that era or were there any. The Kelch maybe or Southwind gasoline type? With no ready provision in the engine for a water path just wondering what they did do. If the block has a drain plug could that be a source or would it be too small or inaccessible.

I didn't see anything like that fitting in the Rest Supply or Rest Specialties catalogs but they would certainly seem the most logical to have it.

If some curved reinforcement plates were made to fit inside and outside of the hose similar to that square plate shown in the photo, with some sealant applied it might be possible to adapt a regular curved tank or bulkhead fitting.

Will take the liberty of posting a portion of the photo on the AACA forum showing the item in question so others might see it and have some suggestions.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.19 KB)
209_565487d28f315.jpg 688X602 px

Posted on: 2015/11/24 10:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's some information which may be helpful to you. First and not the most useful image from the 1934 accessory catalog showing both the Kelch and hot water installations - note that the water return was to a fitting tapped into the cast iron water inlet to the block from the lower radiator, same as was done previously. Although my own '34 came with a Kelch, that fitting is tapped and plugged for a water return. Also two pages from the 1929 Accessory catalog, the index listing the 3 available heaters (Kelch, Francisco, and Tropic-Aire) and the specific page for the Tropic-Aire. Of these 3 heaters the Kelch was far and away the best heater for instantaneous and plentiful hot air as the dominant anti-freeze of the day was methanol which required thermostats of 160? or lower, somewhat limiting the efficiency of hot water types. I don't believe Packard ever offered a gasoline-fired heater though I suppose dealers could have purchased and installed them. The Francisco was a very basic exhaust heater.

If anyone has a particular interest in the Kelch heaters PM me with your email and I can send you some information on them from an article I published in The Packard Cormorant back in 2000. Copyright prohibits my posting it here.

As you own a '29 perhaps you should consider buying a reprint of the 1929 Accessories Catalog - all kinds of interesting things, for example the keyed gearshift lock, and 3 different types of windshield wipers including the McConnell electrics - interesting stuff and seldom-seen.

Attach file:

jpg  (111.96 KB)
177_56548d38f075a.jpg 984X1280 px

jpg  (208.50 KB)
177_56548deccbfeb.jpg 1013X1280 px

jpg  (123.80 KB)
177_5654929a4b381.jpg 932X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/11/24 11:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a further observation from looking at the Accessory Catalog illustration of the Tropic-Aire installation for 1929. It appears that the hot water feed is from the cylinder head and apparently done by removing and then adapting one of the core plugs on the manifold side of the engine to a hose nipple. This makes complete sense as that would be the source for the hottest water. The return is as was done for years, to the cast iron water inlet fixture on the far side of the engine which if it isn't already drilled and tapped with a plug, could easily be done.

Posted on: 2015/11/25 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
While picking up my painted blinkers I noticed that a 1930 Packard eight sedan in the shop being restored has a Tropic Aire heater installed. I could not see how it is connected because the engine compartment has a tarp over it. I will try and revisit the shop and see how it is connected.

(o{}o)

Visited the restoration shop this afternoon and got to look at the engine compartment of the 733. The heater is mounted on the cowl wall, but hoses have not been connected and no sign of where the hoses connect to the engine.

Posted on: 2015/11/25 13:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
You can get those adapter tubes from Mac's Model A Parts, as long as the size is the same. They also sell a stainless steel version.

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_a/model-a-ford-temperature-probe-pipe-powder-coated-black.html?crosssell=Product_Related

Posted on: 2015/11/25 23:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved