Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 81

Chuck McDonald, acolds, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine and trans question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bryce S.
See User information
Hi everyone. I am removing the engine in my 54 Clipper, and I was wondering if it would be better to remove the trans and engine together or just the engine. I plan to rebuild the engine, but I'm not sure of the current state of the transmission. Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/11/23 20:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine and trans question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It is much easier to remove them together and then separate them outside the car. In any event you will want to install new seals in the trans, clean out the pan and install a new gasket. It is not hard to take the two together. The CG of the pair is about in line with the #6 sparkplug, so plan on lifting centered in that area.

Posted on: 2015/11/23 20:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bryce S.
See User information
Ok, thanks. I have a load leveler that I plan to use with it. Are there any tricks to disconnecting the trans and engine that aren't stated in the shop manual? What's the best way to do it?

Posted on: 2015/11/23 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If your engine is seized you will have to leave the convertor hanging on the crankshaft until the engine comes apart as you will not be able to reach the bolts that hold the convertor to the flywheel. In that case, just block the engine and tranny level on the floor, undo the trans bolts and pull it STRAIGHT back until the shafts are free.

If your engine turns, remove the lower bell housing while the engine is still hanging. Undo the 6 convertor to flywheel bolts and make sure you can spin the convertor freely. Then sit everything down on the floor as above and pull the tranny off with the convertor.

Posted on: 2015/11/24 13:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Bryce, when I pulled the engine and transmission on my 51 200, I had difficulty clearing the radiator brace, so I cut it with a angle grinder with a cut off blade, and then welded it back in place when the engine was reinstalled.

I agree that it is much easier to remove and reinstall the transmission when it's out of the car. I put the transmission on a furniture dolly and the engine hanging from a lift so that I could push both of them around as needed.

Posted on: 2015/11/25 11:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bryce S.
See User information
Thanks for the help. I have the whole front clip off already so I hope clearance won't be an issue. It is in a garage so I have to remove it from the side, but it looks like I'll have enough room.

Posted on: 2015/11/25 13:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved