Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

refitting fuel pump to 38 Twelve
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello all, I am trying to refit the fuel pump to my 38 Twelve without success. The operating lever appears to be going under the cam. Does the arm have to be set ( wired) into the operating position prior to introducing the arm into the crankcase. Some advice please. There is obviously a trick to this and I don't want to wreck the pump. PT

Posted on: 2015/11/27 20:00
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Re: refitting fuel pump to 38 Twelve
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've installed the mechanical fuel pump on '36 and '37 Twelves, not done a '38 but can't believe it's any different. And I employed no tricks or special technique, just stuck the pump arm in the opening and tightened it up. Are you sure the pump is assembled correctly?

The pump arm on the Twelves is quite long and slender and they have been known to fatique and relax a bit at the tip, reducing the stroke and thus the fuel delivery. It's pretty common practice for the better rebuilders to straighten the arm if needed and reinforce it at the critical point with a small wedge of steel brazed in place (picture below). If you haven't done this to yours it might be a good time to consider this.

Attach file:

jpg  (106.54 KB)
177_5659ba1281b82.jpg 900X1200 px

Posted on: 2015/11/28 9:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Thanks Dave, The arm on mine may well be bent. I shall take a pic of it when I get back home. Currently it is definitely going under the cam. it was working well when I pulled it off to help diagnose a noise in the motor. The noise was not coming from the pump although a sounding sthescope indicated it was the problem area.

Posted on: 2015/11/28 17:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Perhaps the spring has "relaxed" the diaphram from being outside the engine unsupported and over stretched it slightly. It is not out of the ordinary to have to install some pumps at quite an angle to position the arm and have to muscle it against spring pressure to seat the flange/bolt area. Ensure the eccentric is away from the arm and you are on the base circle to minimise this.

Posted on: 2015/11/28 18:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello Dave and 55 Clipper Guy. The operating lever on my pump looks totally different to your pump. See attached photos. My arm number is 1521868. I shall try to look up the AC catalogue as it appears that my pump is a bitzer. PT

Attach file:

jpg  (17.90 KB)
154_565a814aefa5c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.67 KB)
154_565a81ccbaba2.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/11/28 23:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello Dave . Could you please measure the length of the arm and the width of the operating pad? I may be able to hot bend the arm as it appears to be cast steel. In the meantime, while I sort out this issue, I shall put a plate over the opening and run on the electric pump only. Thanks for your help. PT

Posted on: 2015/11/29 0:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry Peter but the pump I pictured was installed some years ago and the car has since been sold and is out of the area and I don't have access to another Twelve fuel pump or actuating arm. The arm on that particular pump was straightened to spec and strengthened as part of a routine rebuild by Gould Rebuilders in New York. I'm guessing that other top-notch rebuilders would also be able to do the same if they have a template or drawing. It's obvious now why your pump didn't install.

Posted on: 2015/11/29 9:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A comment not directly related, but relevant. When installing a fuel pump, it sometimes helps to turn the engine until the low part of the cam is in position to fit the pump with the least amount of resistance.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/11/29 13:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Thanks Dave, I shall find out a bit more about the arm and in line with JW's comment, I actually used a borescope to rotate the cam so as to place the lobe in the non activated position. However with the arm as it is, it required the cam to be slightly over centre and then you had the job of compressing the arm from inside the engine bay. I knew that it was not meant to be so, as the normal pump arm fits readily. If anyone has a Twelve pump handy, could you please measure the arm length and relaxed distance from the pump face, so that I may modify my pump arm. PT

Posted on: 2015/11/29 16:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Ok Peter. Gotcha. Your post #1 said you were trying to : 'refit the fuel pump to...' No mention of the electric pump. My comments were in regard to the removal and replacement of a pump in operation on a motor and supplying fuel in normal operation prior to removal. Obviously if the electric is supplying and the arm on the mechanical is on the wrong side of the eccentric it was not pumping and will certainly cause noise, wear and damage. Pls disregard.

Posted on: 2015/11/29 20:01
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved