Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: refitting fuel pump to 38 Twelve
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
My mistake with a poor explanation. The mechanical fuel pump on the motor was working fine as far as I know and I only switched the back-up electric pump on during long hot days in slow traffic ( ye olde vapour lock, etc.). Actually when the pump arm is under the cam lobe, the cam lobe gave it very little grief. I was just not believing of the fact that you would have to instal a fuel pump with the cam lobe in the operating position and then have to compress the pump to get the flange onto the studs. I shall bend the arm to the correct position when I find out the correct position of same.

Posted on: 2015/11/29 23:56
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
View of 1936 Twelve fuel pump installation from one of the original Packard engine blue prints. Should there be any doubt about the positioning of the arm with respect to the cam lobe this should answer it. Twelves 1933 thru 1939 all use the same fuel pump (AC#1778).

Attach file:

jpg  (254.35 KB)
177_565c37c35f88c.jpg 928X1280 px

jpg  (110.59 KB)
177_565c39d01f1e3.jpg 587X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/11/30 6:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The two pump photos are not exactly the same size and angle to overlay them perfectly but offhand it looks like bending the arm to remove that first curve thus making it straight from the pivot to the cam pad would make things fall into place. I'd be curious in how it got bent in the first place or is that the proper pump.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.56 KB)
209_565c67d2634b3.jpg 900X1200 px

Posted on: 2015/11/30 10:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Congrats, nice piece of work superimposing the two photos!

Posted on: 2015/11/30 10:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Excellent work on the photos. My pump is a 1778 which is correct for a Twelve. No idea as to why the arm is different, although it appears to have a different part number to the arm photographed by Dave. I shall bend the arm into shape using the superimposed photo as a template and see how it performs. Thanks for everyone's help and I shall report back on the results. PT

Posted on: 2015/11/30 15:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Since I've never worked on anything so lofty as a Twelve, this is well beyond my expertise but could it be that the arm was installed upside-down when the pump was rebuilt?

Posted on: 2015/11/30 23:24
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don, if you take a close look at the shape of the "pad" at the end of the arm that wipes against the cam you'll observe that it is installed correctly.

Posted on: 2015/11/30 23:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello all, I need to alter the actuating plane of the pad of the arm in relation to the operating cam as illustrated in the accompanying pic of the Pad. It is quite shallow at the moment. I shall bend the arm approx 250 thou to the right to make a sweeter alignment of pad to cam...at least that is the theory. PT

Attach file:

jpg  (15.42 KB)
154_565d617e52e9a.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/12/1 3:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That pad is pretty abused & probably should be resurfaced, have you taken a look at the cam lobe?

Posted on: 2015/12/1 10:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Don, if you take a close look at the shape of the "pad" at the end of the arm that wipes against the cam you'll observe that it is installed correctly.

Looking closely, O_D is correct; the latest picture confirms this. It's absolutely mystifying.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 23:29
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved