Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gearbox blocked in 2nd and 3rd
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
Hi you great source of knowledge,
I have had my gearbox in to change the sync rings. Now it's back in the car but when I put it in 2nd or 3rd it's totally blocked. Any ideas? Have they f*cked it up reassembling it?
Thanks
Jan in Spain

Posted on: 2015/11/30 7:06
1949 Packard 2265-9 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan
1956 Packard 5647 Clipper Super Hardtop Coupe
1953 Packard 2679 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Gearbox blocked in 2nd and 3rd
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Do you mean it won't go in 2nd or 3rd gear? Did U check linkage after install?

Posted on: 2015/11/30 9:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would look at the linkage making sure the rods -- particularly the low-reverse rod -- had not been adjusted improperly so it was pulling the shift arm at the transmission slightly out of the neutral detent. First and reverse lever has to be solidly in the neutral detent before the 2-3 lever is free to move and same applies to the 2-3 lever. It has to be firmly in neutral before R-1 can move.

If that appears OK then disconnect both rods at the transmission and verify the shift levers on the side of the transmission are operating properly. Make sure the detents are firm and see if you can shift the levers by hand. If you can move them into gears the problem is before the transmission. If you cannot move the 2-3 lever at the transmission then the first place I would look is the detent and interlock mechanism bolted to the cover plate. It is possible when they worked on it one of the detent balls fell out and bare spring is sticking out causing the bind. The detent block assy could also have been left loose. The loosening of the block in normal operation was an issue at one time and symptom was blocked shifts

Posted on: 2015/11/30 10:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
Hi again,
I can put it in to 2nd and 3rd but when I try to let the clutch up the engine will stall (I have only let the clutch up a little bit not to damage anything in the gearbox). I will disconnect the rods and check.
/Jan

Posted on: 2015/11/30 10:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That sounds more like something is wrong with the clutch mechanism or linkage more than the transmission linkage. Does everything work OK with first and reverse? If you can select the 2-3 gear the trans linkage is probably OK.

Letting out the clutch pedal a tiny amount and having clutch suddenly engage sounds like possibly something was bent when removing the transmission or is not in the correct position when the transmission was reinstalled. Was the transmission allowed to drop down at the rear while the input shaft was still partially in the clutch plate? What about the throwout collar and bearing. Is it properly seated in the fork and is the collar free to slide on its support? Was anything in the clutch linkage disconnected when you pulled the transmission?

Posted on: 2015/11/30 11:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
1st and reverse works. It blocks when I put the 2nd or 3rd in. The engine and gearbox came out together. Clutch and pressure plate is new. Bearing and push out collar new.
Engine and gearbox put together before going back into the car.
Now talking clutch. When I press the clutch pedal to the floor it sounds like its touching something like a gear.
Can the problem be in there?

Posted on: 2015/11/30 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Fortunately it is easy to remove the bottom of the bell housing and have a look inside to see if something is hitting. The noise is probably not causing the lock up but may be a symptom of something assembled wrongly.

It is also fortunate that there is a large floor plate on those years of Packard so you can have a look inside the trans by removing the top cover. To lock up in 2 and 3 implies that somehow either 1st or reverse are also engaging when you select 2 or 3. In that case there is a problem with the interlock as Howard mentioned.

To eliminate other possibilities I would disconnect the shift rods at the transmission and try each position by hand: front lever forward is 3
front lever rearward is 2
rear lever forward is 1
rear lever rearward is R

You should only be able to move each lever when the other one is in neutral.

Posted on: 2015/11/30 14:09
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
Thanks Ross,
the top cover from inside is no option for me. Glued carpet.

I'll check the other things during next weekend. I don't think I have time until then.

/Jan

Posted on: 2015/11/30 14:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
So I disconnected the link arms and it's the same when I put the 2nd or 3rd gear in. Transmission locked. I guess it has to come out and be opened again. The clutch I can't see anything wrong but I have to try it when engine is running and someone pressing down the clutch. I was alone checking it.

Posted on: 2015/12/10 3:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
Problems solved. The man who did the gearbox had done something wrong putting it together. Now it works with no problems. The O/D also works as supposed.
The clutch was too tight so after loosing the adjustment a bit the noise stopped.
At the moment the car is in a workshop to change all seals on the rear axle due to leaks.
Hopefully I will have it all ready for a 5-day run in end of April.
Thanks All of you beeing here helping out when needed.
/Jan in Spain

Posted on: 2016/3/13 5:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved