Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

DM37, 54packpac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Patrician seat belts
Just popping in
Just popping in

Mark Sherman
See User information
Does anyone have advice for installing seat belts in a 1956 Patrician?
Ie. Bolt locations, and suitable supplier of vintage looking belts.
Thanks,
Metalman

Posted on: 2015/12/1 4:49
 Top  Print 

Re: Patrician seat belts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here's what I did on my 55 Pat. I bought them from JC Whitney and bolted them to the floor with Gr 8 bolts.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/12/1 5:01
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mark Sherman
See User information
Thanks Craig,
Looks pretty tidy. Did you put in two in the front and three in rear?
Mark

Posted on: 2015/12/1 6:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
2 in front and none in rear. The rear would not be a particular challenge if you wanted that.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 13:01
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
I would recommend when putting belts in making plates for the underside of the car to spread the weight in case of an accident. As the floors themselves were not designed to structurally hold in an impact. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
James

Posted on: 2015/12/1 14:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
If you examine the underside of the car where the reinforcement braces are under the front seat you may see holes stamped onto the structural cross braces which have no corresponding holes in the floorboard sheet metal. If these are in suitable locations for proper angle of the frt berts you may want to utilize these- always with proper washers and grade 8 hardware. In the rear there is nothing but sheet metal and you will neet to utilize backing plates , fender washers to support the anchor belts. The belts need to pull back and down. Do a web search as the angles of lap belts and lap/ shoulder are well illustrated. Is yours a 55? Is it a power frt seat car?
Certainly lap belts are better than none at all but getting as close as poss to proper angle and alignment is best.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 15:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Where did you bolt the shoulder belt? I was involved in an accident earlier the year in a modern car. The shoulder belt and air bag probably saved my life. Can't put am air bag in, but I'd really like to anchor a shoulder belt to something on both my 400 and Patrician.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2015/12/1 15:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might go to the Wesco sitehttp://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/nonresebe.html and check out some of their shoulder belt installation instructions. The Patrician is not too bad for a shoulder belt because of the pillar right behind the front seat. IIRC, HA52 had some photos in his project blog of the belt install he recently did on his 52 sedan. That would be very similar to what would be needed in the Patrician.

The 400 is more difficult because there is nothing to support the shoulder harness except the metal under the rear window. The roof is way too thin and virtually unsupported the entire length. Wesco has some suggestions on possibilities for HTs but I finally decided not to use shoulder belts in mine because it would have meant holes in places without much working room or worse, holes in metal trim.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 16:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
HH56 -

Thank you for the Wesco suggestion. The instructions are clear and complete, plus they can supply the necessary parts and belts.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2015/12/1 18:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
In addition to the good advice to put reinforcing plates under the bolts, you should do the same to the seat hold down bolts. The seat can tear loose from the floor in a bad wreck and squash the passengers against the belts.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 23:36
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved