Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Regarding +gnd 6V Packards
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
I was told once that a quick way to check to see if the charging system is working properly (while the engine is running) is to briefly disconnect the ground (+) wire from the battery, and if engine continues to run, OK: if it quits, then something is awry. Is this correct?

Posted on: 2015/12/1 14:09
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print   

Re: Regarding +gnd 6V Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't even think about trying that, and whoever told you that should have their tool box taken away! First of all the generator has no output at low (idle speed) rpm and if you increase the generator speed you can do damage to any electrical item that happens to be turned on. For example if any of the lights are on the bulbs will be toasted.

The simplist rudimentary way to see if the charging system is working is to put on the headlight and heater and then increase the engine speed a bit. If the lights get brighter, or alternatively if you have a voltmeter across the battery, the voltage increases then your charging system is functional though it would take more sophisticated tests to tell you if it's functioning within specifications.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 15:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Regarding +gnd 6V Packards
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
Thanks, Dave. I knew I could get the straight scoop on this from one the gurus here at PackardInfo. As I recall, the guy who told me was a Studebaker mechanic at some point in his earlier life. Go figure.

Posted on: 2015/12/2 10:22
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved