Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Front wheel bearing lock nuts 37- 115 c
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
After replacing my front wheel bearings I still noticed that my inner locking nut is mostly inside the bearing hub and protrudes out about 1/8" ? . I can not get a wrench on it like the article of the 1932 901. When installed locking ring and outer nut properly installed with cotter pin thair is about 1/32" between nut and cotter pin ! . Locking ring tab is in great shape. In my 1937 shop manual the picture kind of shows the inner nut into the hub . Ok. Thanks. Dave

Posted on: 2016/1/2 11:02
Learnig
 Top  Print 

Re: Front wheel bearing lock nuts 37- 115 c
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What you describe sounds right, I don't understand just what your question is. Not familiar with the '37 juniors but I'm assuming you have this type of wheel bearing adjustment and locking device? You shouldn't need much effort to loosen the inner nut (needle nose piers do it for me), it should be nearly hand-tight; it's the outer nut that's jammed against the ring while you hold the inner nut from rotating. Never ever seen one come loose but if you need a comfort level just check to see that the distance from the outer nut to the cotter in is less than the length of the pin on the lock ring.

Attach file:

jpg  (203.13 KB)
177_5687f9120ec3a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/1/2 11:21
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
Yes Owen I do have the same setup but with no hole in the outer nut that should make no difference thought . Is thair any reason for the hole in your outer nut. This unit was loose and nuts not jamed when I purchased this car last year at this time with close fitting cotter pin. I can grind a 1 5/8" wrench to 1/8"to lock the nuts, .. I might. Yet it has probably been running this way for years! Thanks so much for your replies Dave. I guess my file size is to big to add pic.?

Posted on: 2016/1/2 12:38
Learnig
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If I understand what you are asking, on my 40 Super, had to put a socked on a lathe and turned down the diameter of the outside wall a bit to allow the wall to be thinner to use for the inside nut, or sometimes I use a large adjustable wrench with thin arms to just barely tighten

Posted on: 2016/1/2 13:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is thair any reason for the hole in your outer nut.

No functional reason, probably just simplifying inventory of parts, it's exactly the same nut, just without having the pin pressed in.

If the assembly was truly "loose" you probably should disassemble and check the wheel bearings and races for wear - it wouldn't take many miles to do damage to them.

Posted on: 2016/1/2 13:54
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
Thanks again for the reply, all is new and tight. I just looked through the Packard literature and manuals and found the 1937 condensed shop manual and now I see that two thirds of the nut is into the hub, i will grind a 1 5/8 " wrench to about 1/8" wide to fit in back of the locking tab so I can hold the inner nut in place while locking the two, that should work, what do you think.. Thanks. Dave

Posted on: 2016/1/2 16:34
Learnig
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure, that should work but have you tried a pair of large channel-locks to hold the inner nut? They usually have pretty thin jaws.

Posted on: 2016/1/2 17:00
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
Yes I do have a medium size needle nose type that might do the job with a little altering . Good reminder. Dave

Posted on: 2016/1/2 17:29
Learnig
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
In my post "Front Wheel Bearing & Nuts on a '32 901" on the subject, I was able to use channel lock pliers to hold the inner nut. The jaws on the pliers also covered a major portion of the washer. I then used a second set of channel lock pliers on the otter nut. You need to be able to hold the the inner nut/washer combination so they don't rotate otherwise, you'll shear off the small tab on the washer, which is critical to assist in keeping the nut from turning.

The way I usually adjust the nut on bearings like this is tighten the inner nut fairly snug to set the bearings, then to back it off, then to just barely tighten it, then I back it off the minimum to get the post on the nut to align with the hole on the washer. Note that you can flip the washer to give two different positions for hole alignment.

Posted on: 2016/1/3 10:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The way I usually adjust the nut on bearings like this is tighten the inner nut fairly snug to set the bearings, then to back it off, then to just barely tighten it, then I back it off the minimum to get the post on the nut to align with the hole on the washer. Note that you can flip the washer to give two different positions for hole alignment.

Marston, that's a really good technique for proper adjustment. I satisfy myself that it's correct when, if I tighten the inner nut one pin position I feel no free play whatsoever and when I return it to the prior position which I intend to lock it up at, I can just barely, almost imperceptibly, feel the smaller amount of free movement. I think the testament to the method is that I've never had to replace a front wheel bearing in nearly 90,000 miles.

Posted on: 2016/1/3 11:22
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved