Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Front wheel bearing lock nuts 37- 115 c
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Something doesn't appear right. The nut appears to be inside the drum too far. While I have not seen but only the wheels on my 901, I need to ask are you sure that the wheel has the right bearings and races installed?

Also, my model 440 Channel Lock pliers fit the inside nut and don't protrude past the washer and work great for holding the nut.

Posted on: 2016/1/5 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I think one could also wedge a tool (screwdriver tip?) between one of the flats on the inner nut and the hub to prevent the nut and the locking washer from moving while tightening the outer nut.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/1/5 14:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I would also question if the correct bearings and races are installed, but regardless if there is enough room between the outer nut and the cotter you could add a spacer (washer) between the outer bearing and the inner nut. But not just an ordinary washer but one with sides ground flat and parallel and surface-hardened.

Posted on: 2016/1/5 16:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
After seeing Mal's photo, I decided to see what the front wheel bearings on my 115C look like. The ones on my Packard look the same as Mal's with the inner nut just protruding from the end of the hub. It is clear that there is a space between the outer lock nut and the cotter pin. This means the cotter pin only serves as a safety device. This also means that the lock nut must be tight against the ring and inner nut; otherwise, the adjustment will be too loose. O_D's suggestion for a flat washer between the cotter pin and outer nut is something to consider. Later designs with a castellated nut seem to be a better way to go, in my opinion.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (70.51 KB)
565_568d89e3536fb.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/1/6 16:43
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
JW, in the past I have just used a screw driver or the tip of a rolling head bar to hold the inner nut while tightening the outer with success.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 9:40
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ken, great minds thinking alike. Ha, ha.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/1/8 11:43
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
Just trying to add a reduced sized photo of some of my original brake shoes from 37. 115-c compared to the replacement bonded shoes. I will add to this if it goes through. New on this photo sizeing. ☹️. Whoops the wrong photo. But I did it few, Back to the shoes later. Dave. The origional riveted shoes are wider on the top sides than the replacements is I welded a spacer on the side of the holder to take up the slop , the shoes line up nice in the drum. The slot in the shoe expander had to be opened up slightly, the new shoes at this point are slightly wider. Dave

Attach file:

jpeg  (33.18 KB)
87975_58700c4fd4259.jpeg 382X286 px

jpeg  (16.42 KB)
87975_587011b631784.jpeg 382X286 px

jpeg  (22.08 KB)
87975_587011cecdf47.jpeg 382X286 px

Posted on: 2017/1/6 16:30
Learnig
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved