Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 155

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: PTV's 1951 Packard 200
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Me and you both Craig. If the engine is screwed the project might be a done deal.
John

Posted on: 2016/3/12 22:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information

Posted on: 2016/4/1 11:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Been quite a while since I've had much time for the project. Question with a 288 and Ultramatic, I was thinking of using a piece of hardwood and put against the teeth on the flywheel to see if I can bump the engine to turn.
Does anyone see where this might hurt the flywheel?

John

Posted on: 2016/5/27 18:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I doubt you could do any harm by trying it but isn't it more effective to engage the front pulley bolt once the fan has been removed? There actually was a special tool made for rotating the flywheel which engaged the teeth at 2 points with a long handle for leverage. The tool was most commonly used for rotating the crankshaft when installing new main bearings from beneath with the crankshaft still in the engine.

Posted on: 2016/5/28 8:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I was afraid of possibly snapping the bolt on the front of the damper pulley. Maybe I'll pull the radiator out, it is empty anyway and see if I can make something here to engage in the 2 holes beside the bolt. Thanks

John

Posted on: 2016/5/28 11:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nothing is impossible but it's really VERY unlikely you could snap the vibration damper bolt, even with an 18" breaker bar and lots of force.

But if it takes that much effort and the engine still won't turn over, you're probably going about it the wrong way. Remove the cylinder head and get a good rust penetrant like Kroil or PB Blaster around the circumference of each piston and as best you can down each valve stem. Let that work for a week or two, replenishing frequently.

Have you inspected the engine some underneath to make sure you don't have something like a bent connecting rod?

Posted on: 2016/5/28 11:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
No I haven't pulled the pan on the engine to check out the bottom end yet.
How much does one of those cast iron heads weigh?

John

Posted on: 2016/5/28 13:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Maybe 45 lbs, even old men can handle it though having a friend around to help would be nice. Leave the thermostat housing on up front for a hand hold, and as you lift it slip an old leather belt or something similar thru at the rear so you can lift evenly.

Posted on: 2016/5/28 13:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I purchased an oil filter housing for the Packard. Seems I've seen a picture on here for the routing of the lines to it. Do they use rubber lines or steel?

John

Posted on: 2016/6/23 12:01
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
metal lines. Check my blog.

Posted on: 2016/6/23 12:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved