Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

r1lark, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

1953 Caribbean Prototype
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
I am looking for information and or pictures of the Prototype or very early examples of the 53 Caribbean. Interior pictures would be very interesting. I have been talking with Packard enthusiasts for several months now and wanted to reach a broader audience. Thanks for your time and interest on my quest.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 21:34
 Top  Print 

Re: 1953 Caribbean Prototype
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Tubster,
to PackardInfo.

Have you read "Packard 1951 to 1954" by Robert J. Neal"? This is the definitive book on all 51-54 Packards. While I haven't read it yet, if the info you're after is in print, it would be in that book. I believe the book is available from Dwight Heinmuller, see this thread on the PAC Website. Also, Forum member Leeedy is someone who has first hand knowledge about Caribbeans and may well respond to your post.

By the way, if by some chance you own a Caribbean or any Packard for that matter, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

PS - I see that "Packard 1951 to 1954" by Robert J. Neal" isn't included in The Packard Bookshelf here on PackardInfo. Would someone who has read it like to do the honours and include it there?

Posted on: 2016/1/14 22:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might contact The Packard Club roster keeper for the 1953 Caribbeans and see if # 1001 or 1002 has survived, or if not then what the earliest numbered survivor is and then contact the owner. I've never heard or read anything about any pre-production cars or prototypes though that doesn't mean there weren't any. I assume you've been in contact with Leon Dixon.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 23:26
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
Thanks, I have talked with the roster keeper and with Leeedy, both have been very helpful. As far as books go I have yet to read any books that shed much light on Caribbean pre or production. I hope someone has some sort of production records tucked away.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 0:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
This photo may be of some help, it shows the location and lead work of the graft of the senior rear fender section onto the junior body shell of a production '53 Caribbean. If yours is significantly different it could suggest a pre-production car, if there ever was one. I don't recall the vehicle number on this car but I think if it was especially early or late I would have recorded it. Too bad there isn't enough resolution in the photo to see how the left side wheel tub was modified - I tried enlarging and increasing brightness but no detail to be seen.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.43 KB)
177_56990bb8bcc11.jpg 500X281 px

Posted on: 2016/1/15 10:11
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
Thank you for the photo. Do yo think there are any 70 somethings that have photos taken with their Brownie cameras from the 1952 international auto show in NY? I am going to ask the Detroit Public Library for some assistance as well. I find that talking with others in the hobby is time well spent and something I enjoy.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 12:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Someone can yell at me if I'm wrong but I doubt the graft had anything to do with the senior rear portion of the fender since it clearly isn't one. The tail light bulges are totally different than any other Packard of the era so were clearly added to the Clipper fender. The seam must have simply been a lengthening of the rear fender to accommodate the rear spare, grafting in a spacer panel to give a built-in recessed look to the spare rather than making it look like an aftermarket piece that they often were. I understand that the trunk lid was also shortened or moved forward for the same reason.

Posted on: 2016/1/16 17:28
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
how about next time you are in Bend you swing by. My house is only two and half hours NW OF Bend.

I understand that the trunk lid on Conv as well as Caribbeans have be cut down. I believe this was done to accommodate the conv top.

Thank you for your interest in my QUEST.

Posted on: 2016/1/17 16:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That would be fun and thank you for the invitation! When I'm in Terrebonne (north of it actually, in an unincorporated part of Jefferson County) I don't usually have transportation but perhaps I can borrow a car from a neighbor if time permits. I am generally there only briefly and with pre-set goals of work to be done. Oddly, I am a car collector who hates driving!

As for the Caribbean trunk, you are right. I believe it was shorted both to accommodate the top and to make room for the spare. Rather than extending out the bumper as was generally done, doing it this way gave a good, clean, finished look rather than looking added on as an afterthought. This was also the reason that the rear fenders were apparently lengthened although until I saw the lead in the photo, I didn't know that they were as I have never owned one. I am looking for a very rough 1954 convertible body but have steering away from the Caribbean as it's too scarce to not try to save and restore.

Posted on: 2016/1/17 16:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tubster; fenders, taillights, and trunk lids all aside, one feature on your car that could be conclusive that it's the prototype would be the small holes in the front fender just behind the wheel well where Packard script appeared that did not appear on the production units. See the pix in Neal's book if you haven't already.

Posted on: 2016/1/17 17:47
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved