Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

r1lark, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: 1953 Caribbean Prototype
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
A friend of mine is in the process of having metal work done on his 53 Caribbean. He tells me the body man has removed the lead in the back end and exposed the original welds. I plan on going over and photographing the work area and with some luck should be able to download pictures.

I may be one step closer to finding answers to my Caribbean prototype quest.

Posted on: 2016/1/17 21:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
the 1954 Packard Convertible (non-Caribbean) Prototype was on ebay for sale about two years ago, it was a modified 53 Convertible with a 53 Convertible Briggs data plate and a 53 style Stamped plate on the door post with a super early 5479 number on it, It appears that Packard just stamped'em and sold them after their testing/show/demonstration purpose was done. It appears that they only special feature the 53 Caribbean prototype may have had was the Packard script on the lower front fenders. The owner reports that the holes on one side for this script still exist. It appears this car was stamped with a later (Spring 1953) serial number but all other factors indicate a fall 1952 built car. Certainly an interesting find.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 1:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
two photos of what most folks believe is the 1953 Caribbean prototype:

http://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A153720

http://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A153607

would be interesting to know if the newly discovered car has the pre-production continental kit hubcap intact? and also if the location of the backup lights are the same

Posted on: 2016/1/18 1:27
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
I would have preferred not to have details shared at this time on this venue. Two questions were asked by Home away from Home, they referred to the spare tire hub cap and the location of back up lights.

I only have the blank cap for the spare tire and my spare tire shell is currently not with the car, but I do know its location.

The back up lights are located in the same place as the car in the photo.

I did find three holes in the right front fender that may have held script.

Disclaimer: Although I have found several similarities between my car and the one in the photo, I still have many questions and several leads to track down.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 11:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
The photo of the Caribbean quarter panel is the same as all 53 Caribs. The car started life with a body shell of a regular 51-54 convertible, it was extended by using the last 20" or so of a 51-3 senior car, a 300 or 400 sedan.
If you look inside the trunk you will see the end of the junior fender with the oval cutout for the tail lamp. There is a dead space between that surface and the inside of the senior car tail lamp mounting.

The fenders were extended in order to have the continental kit "built in" rather than hanging off the back.

Due to the need for a top well it was necessary to shorten the trunk lid, this was done on all 51-55 convertibles and those trunks are all interchangeable except for the holes to mount the scripts, emblem surrounds etc.

There is nothing mysterious about these cars.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 12:03
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
Thank you for your interest in this forum. The Caribbean quarter panel picture is not of the car in question. I am simply trying to gather as much info on the car in Neals book that is represented as the "prototype"

Posted on: 2016/1/18 12:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
My sincere apologies to the owner, I did not realize they wanted to keep information about the cars' features and/or details confidential, I will refrain from posting or providing any further information about the subject vehicle. I will certainly respect the owner's wishes even though the request for confidentiality was not previously mentioned until earlier today

Posted on: 2016/1/18 22:11
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
Apologies accepted! You are correct no prior commitments to secrecy were established. shhhh

more interesting developments, but a small break to fix my septic system and work will keep me busy for a few days. Currently consulting with Leeedy on a few things.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 1:14
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Kelvin
See User information
sounds fishy

Posted on: 2016/1/22 23:29
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
What sounds fishy? Please respond.

Posted on: 2016/2/20 21:30
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved