Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

Todd W. White, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Re: 1953 Caribbean Prototype
Home away from home
Home away from home

Richter12x2
See User information
Sorry I missed this thread, the Caribbean in the picture is one of mine. :)

The cuts to open up the rear wheel wells were very rough, like what one might do themselves with a sawzall if they were being careful - the chrome trim covers the edge, so they didn't seem to waste a lot of time making it nice.

The inside wheel well was just flattened on the top to accomodate the convertible top sitting on it - I can't imagine it being any different than the '53 Convertibles were, but I don't have one to look at for comparison anymore. I also had cut out those wheel wells and replaced them with the curved ones off a Clipper, but I have another Caribbean with better ones that I can look at, if you need it.

Posted on: 2016/6/11 11:25
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

49 matt
See User information
Kelvin, This is the owner of the 53 Caribbean that may or may not be the prototype/showcar. I promise you the car is real as are the questions and requests. If you are able to assist me on this endeavor please contact me.

Thanks

Posted on: 2016/11/8 17:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day 49 matt,
See you've been a member for quite some time, but first post, so

I invite you to include the prototype(!) '53 Caribbean and any other Packard/s in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/11/8 21:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Kelvin
See User information
i say fishy because just tell us the serial number of the car from the original vin plate. If it isnt 26782001 it's not the first Caribbean, period. Post some pictures? Why do they NOT wants details shared on this site? The facts will simply stand on their own.

Posted on: 2016/11/19 3:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not quite that simple, Kelvin.

First, a prototype would have preceded the first production unit, so they are not the same vehicle. Secondly, we don't know a lot about how Packard numbered pre-production vehicles over the years, but we do know from surviving Packard records that in 1955 the sequential numbers for prototypes and pre-production vehicles began at 101, not 1001. So it's highly likely that a true prototype '53 Caribbean would have had a VN other than 2678-2001, perhaps 2678-201 if they followed the same logic as in 1955.

Posted on: 2016/11/19 9:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Kelvin wrote:
i say fishy because just tell us the serial number of the car from the original vin plate. If it isnt 26782001 it's not the first Caribbean, period. Post some pictures? Why do they NOT wants details shared on this site? The facts will simply stand on their own.

Owen is quite correct. As someone who worked in this business all my life, I can tell you. The "first" of any line, including the Caribbeans, is not necessarily going to be numbered as serial number one of a production series. It just doesn't work that way. And there is a difference between "prototype"... "pilot production" and "production." First production Caribbean would have been 001... but that is production. And the first 1953 Caribbean was not a "production Caribbean" vehicle, but rather, based on a regular production convertible that had to be modified.

I have personally worked on prototype and pilot prodction cars for car makers that were actually based on previous year's production cars and thus numbered that way. Some even had no numbers-although this is almost impossible in modern times. All the more reason why people should stop trying to use serial-number information in a vacuum. One needs to understand the background of how these cars got built.

Also on a personal basis, I rode in the very first operable 1956 Packard Caribbean... in 1955. But it was not really a 1956 Caribbean and I am sure was not numbered that way. It was actually a 1955 Caribbean refitted to look like 1 1956. Despite looking like a 1956, it still had several 1955 features if you looked close... as well as features that never made actual production (like seats that were different).

Connecting the dots and using "if this, therefore that" logic will not work when it comes to determining numbering and status of prototypes and pilot production cars. It just isn't that simple.

Posted on: 2016/11/19 11:18
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

49 matt
See User information
briggs body tag 2579-2954 denotes car as a 52 conv.

a pillar number 2678-2954 denotes car as 53 Caribbean. The numbers on this plate have been hand stamped over the original numbers.

I have been trying to establish this cars pedigree for awhile. It has been a slow process as I myself am a doubting Thomas.

Posted on: 2017/3/1 13:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tubster for including your '53 Caribbean Convertible in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/3/2 19:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Kelvin
See User information
OK people,

1) Packard or even a Packard dealer NEVER restamped over an existing data plate. This was a federal crime in 1930, a crime in 1953, and a crime today. It's called fraud. They would have obtained a new data plate and did it correctly.
2) How is this websites roster reliable now? Ozstatman has now declared this to be the Caribbean Prototype?
3) The owner should just post extensive pictures of this car and let the experts decide. They say "let me assure you" etc... Why all the secrecy? why no picture? Do they think it will auction sell for $400,000 now?
4) In the 1980's i was heavily involved in researching 1940's and 1950's supposed GM prototypes. 10% turned out to be legit prototypes, bUT 45% of these turned out to period rebuilt wrecks using parts and vin plates off of other cars, 45% of these with uncorrelating data plates turned out to be cars stolen early in their life where they simply tried to hide the real vin plate. Think about it, the briggs plate was easy to switch out, the other plate was popriveted on to prevent theft and tampering so restamping it would make sense....

Posted on: 2017/3/8 4:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Kelvin wrote: OK people,

1) Packard or even a Packard dealer NEVER restamped over an existing data plate. This was a federal crime in 1930, a crime in 1953, and a crime today. It's called fraud. They would have obtained a new data plate and did it correctly.
2) How is this websites roster reliable now? Ozstatman has now declared this to be the Caribbean Prototype?
3) The owner should just post extensive pictures of this car and let the experts decide. They say "let me assure you" etc... Why all the secrecy? why no picture? Do they think it will auction sell for $400,000 now?
4) In the 1980's i was heavily involved in researching 1940's and 1950's supposed GM prototypes. 10% turned out to be legit prototypes, bUT 45% of these turned out to period rebuilt wrecks using parts and vin plates off of other cars, 45% of these with uncorrelating data plates turned out to be cars stolen early in their life where they simply tried to hide the real vin plate. Think about it, the briggs plate was easy to switch out, the other plate was popriveted on to prevent theft and tampering so restamping it would make sense....

Regarding "2) How is this websites roster reliable now? Ozstatman has now declared this to be the Caribbean Prototype?"

Whoa there Nelly, sorry Kelvin! I have NOT "DECLARED THIS TO BE THE CARIBBEAN PROTOTYPE"! I merely thanked the member for including his Packard in the Registry.

As to the reliability of the Registry, it's only as reliable as the information posted by the members when they record their Packards in it. I acknowledge that I'm far from being a Packard "expert" so, unless there is a glaring irregularity that even I can see, I mainly confine my activities to alerting members of duplicate entries then deleting same.

Posted on: 2017/3/8 5:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved