Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 87

Kenbwisc, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Help with purchase selection
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Here are some photos of an early dash switch panel with the added illumination.
It has a stainless steel cover that snaps into place between the grille openings and appears to have a lucite rod inside with a paper shield between the plastic rod and the stainless cover. There are 2 light bulbs, one at each end with wires that tie into the instrument lighting circuit. There is also a thin sheet of transparent green plastic behind the openings that direct light onto the switches.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.12 KB)
1137_570866bbb218f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (101.18 KB)
1137_57086705b9588.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (98.79 KB)
1137_5708672dcdbd1.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/4/8 21:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Somewhere in my many hours studying Packards I.ve seen a lighted dash keyboard like you describe. I will have to keep my flash light handy. My Packard is currently having the radiator cleaned, new hoses and fan belt. Next we are checking the brake system thoroughly and buffing of the original paint, Agate Blue metallic.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 18:50
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
So many Freds here. It could get confusing.
Congratulations on your choice. I would have made the same. the '48 Packard was the first car I ever owned and first cars are like our women. I married the first 55 years ago and now I have the car too.
Fred in Naples, Florida

Posted on: 2016/4/17 10:47
1937 Packard Super Eight Convertible, model 1502 in Blue
1948 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - Maroon, Body 2279
1949 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - green
1949 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - black
1949 Oldsmobile
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible Coupe
1993 Bentley Brooklands Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...Since you are having the Radiator cleaned and hoses changed...I suspect the old girl is running a bit warm. It is a good idea to check to see if the vacuum advance on your distributor is working as it should. Some of us have even re-routed the vacuum advance line from the bottom of the carburetor to a port on the intake manifold in order to advance the timing at long lights where these old girls tend to heat up. Enjoy! Ernie...caretaker of 'Miss Prudence' a 1949 288 Deluxe.

Posted on: 2016/4/17 11:38
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Thank you for that advice. I had read that before here as I study the Forums. We have discovered 2 leaks. Shop is going to clean the under body of grease and grime so they can see where oil leaks are coming from. Brakes were in great shape. Radiator was good also, 30 gals per minute flow rate.Is that ok?? Fluid changes to follow. Then maybe she is ready for the road. Fred in Naples, I admire your convertible. Thanks for all the comments. Fred in Marianna, Florida

Posted on: 2016/4/17 18:54
Fred in Florida

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't forget the water distribution tube. If you have the radiator out it is only a few more bolts to pull the water pump and check the tube for cleanliness and overall condition. It may be in fine shape but if the history is unknown and there is no other reason found for any overheating it would be good to have a look now rather than having to do it all again later.

Posted on: 2016/4/17 19:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I notice you have a question or statement in chat regarding reverse lockup or failure to go into reverse. Since yours is a 48, some early 22nd series had the R9 OD. If yours does and if you haven't already read the article check out this 1947 Clipper service itemhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL21NO15.pdf for some possible reasons.

Posted on: 2016/4/25 12:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Radiator was good also, 30 gals per minute flow rate.Is that ok??

Specification is 34 - 36? gallons/minute and given the tendency for these models to run hot in their old age, you'll probably want to be within the specification range.

Posted on: 2016/4/25 13:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Howard,Owen, Ernie, thank for your help. I guess I need to start a new subject since I bought the car. Thank God it wasn't the overdrive problem. My mechanic had adjusted the parking brake since it wasn't holding the car. I suspected the parking brake had seized up and was holding the car and I was correct. I got him out to the house and he was able to free it by banging something with a hammer under the car. Now, about the radiator.I still think the car is running to hot, especially around town at 25 to 30 mph. It went to the radiator shop and they said it was clean and didn't need anything done to it and it should cool the engine. No charge.I don't know how they determined it was running 30 gal a minute. Before I touch anything else, what about the vacuum advance I have read about affecting engine cooling. Will it work correctly if the fuel pump has been disconnected. Can you tell me in what order I should make repairs so I don't have to back track on something I should have done first ? I am reading here every nite to learn about my car. Mechanic doesn't really want to listen to me so I have found another that is willing to work on the car. He is my independent man I use for my two Volvoes and he is familiar with "old" cars.
wish me luck.-

Posted on: 2016/4/25 16:39
Fred in Florida

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon fredinflorida...I think that you are making progress. I would get your mechanic familiar with this site so that he/she can look up information when necessary.

If you go to the other site 'Packardclub.org' and look down the left side of the page, you will find a little red tool box. Click on it and then move to the area regarding 'running hot'. It lists a good number of options that can make these old girls run hot. Between the two of you, methodically go through the check lists and see what you can find. Keep in mind that if you look at most things, coils, timing, vacuum and there is still a problem, then it is time to pull the head. In our case, we discovered that the gasket had failed and hot pressure from the cylinders was getting into the cooling system and causing heat and excess pressure and pushing water out of the overflow. If you have a bad head gasket, it has to be changed to make the old girl happy. Old Packards are like pretty girls, if you treat them well, they are a great deal of fun, if you ignore their needs, bad things can happen! Ernie...Caretaker of the 1949 288 Deluxe 'Miss Prudence'.

Posted on: 2016/4/25 17:05
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved