Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 81

TxGoat, Danny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hood center trim strip
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
The chrome strip running down the center of the hood
on a 15th series 120. Having pryed it off very carefully
( it's not bent or distorted ) and replating & painting
hood.

Any suggestions on replacing it ? I don't want to sand down the area it clamps over. I've tried various clamping and pads , wooden blocks, etc to get it to snap/ clamp back over the painted area it fastens too. I don't think it was slid on . I suppose the factory had a special piece of tooling that fit over & applied equal pressure to avoid bending it.
Does anyone have experience reinstalling this piece, any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Packard 385

Posted on: 2016/1/27 0:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Hood center trim strip
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I think that Max Merritt may be able to help. Is this the item you're talking about?

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

Posted on: 2016/2/3 22:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
High Strength body adhesive, should be good for another 75 years, but sorrow for the next guy who wants to remove it...Maybe by then someone will have developed a solvent for the dried adhesive. Hope so...

All sarcasm aside, it is nearly impossible to re-install the trim strip as originally installed.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 23:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
Thanks for the information.
I found using vise grips, ( the wide flat jaw type, and a flexible plastic piece between the moulding and jaws ) I was able to reinstall it ) additionally the hood is separated at center & off vehicle. Need to work slowly ! !
Thanks,
Packard 385

Posted on: 2016/2/8 11:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved