Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Trunk Mat??
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I always though it was just flocking?

But the '54 data book shows a flocking and a trunk mat (read the description). Anyone have pictures of this thing in real life?

Attach file:

jpg  (42.39 KB)
1_56a93ea211a6c.jpg 433X578 px

Posted on: 2016/1/27 17:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Trunk Mat??
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Yep. Made a new one for my 55 Clipper and used the original as a pattern. Job described in my project blog on page 9.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7272&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=80

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/1/27 17:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
JW, 56-56s are different. The '54 and prior trunks were "flocked" which I knew. But according to this, there was also a composite mat that laid on the flat floor portion of the trunk. Which is the darker thing you see in the picture. There for sure is a recesses area on my trunk floor that exact shape of that mat.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 17:43
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are also some "repros" on ebay listed for 51-3 Patricians that might fit. As I recall prior to 55 the standard mat is rather plain--and IMO, they were all kind of flimsy.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 17:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Area in red

Attach file:

jpg  (42.57 KB)
1_56a948d356ebf.jpg 433X578 px

Posted on: 2016/1/27 17:46
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'd love to see what an original one is supposed to look like and to make sure the shape is correct compared to what is on eBay which I think is more generic in composition.

Maybe I'll just cut out a piece of thin masonite to use as a backing and cover with the same carpet low pile carpet as the interior. That would sit very cleanly into the floor recess.

Which is what I was planning on doing since that "flocking" is not going back in my painted fully painted trunk. Just wanted some to avoid scratching the paint on the floor with the chair and my cleaning bag I take to cruise nights.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 17:56
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, I think the trunks are the same. The floor mats should be the same. My sides had panels which I covered in the same carpeting material as the floor. The earlier cars may have only had flocked sides. I think the carpeting greatly enhanced the appearance of the trunk are on my 55.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/1/27 23:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, maybe you remember the very original '54 Cavalier you looked at when you visited New Jersey some years back, a 10,000 mile unmolested car. Trunk sides were flocked, light tan. The base (floor) had a medium brown very short nap mat, very thin and flimsy, too primitive to call carpet, and it has a ribbed texture - very nearly the same if not the same as the 48-50 Custom 8 had in the trunk. Whether Clippers had the same I cannot say.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 23:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave thanks for that info!

Posted on: 2016/1/27 23:31
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Amazon has some larger size mats or runners made of the thin indoor/outdoor carpeting similar to what JW used. The photos seem to show a subtle ribbed texture and colors are in some tan and brown shades which might be close to original. The link is one of the shades but there are several others.

If Amazon can carry it I would expect local stores would have something too but their color selection might be limited. It may not be exactly as an original Packard mat but it would appear many do not have or know what those looked like anyway.

IMO, the thin indoor/outdoor carpet might be more appropriate than using fiberboard with a covering. With your not flocking the trunk sides and your blue color the mat might look better with a blue or gray shade.

Posted on: 2016/1/28 11:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved