Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 103

Ozstatman, William Grosz, r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Manual brake conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I used AMC 1969 used Rock Auto site look up under javelin they list ones for drum and disc brakes also list bore size My concerns were for outlets for lines to face out from frame when installed on frame . My adaptor uses the holes in frame the factory used to mount the single master cylinder.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 22:28
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
acold's conversion was the one I was thinking about. Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/2/3 22:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
To add to the AMC lineup of dual master cylinder:
My 1966 Rambler Classic 770 convertible has power drum brakes with a dual master cyl.
Steve

Posted on: 2016/2/5 15:01
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Thanks for all of the great info guys! I'm still trying to figure everything out in regards to parts. I'll either keep this thread updated or start a new one on the whole process.

-Chris

Posted on: 2016/2/6 2:50
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Still doing some research on this.

It appears that the manual master cylinder was mounted in front of the firewall down low on Ultramatic cars, and mounted behind the firewall underneath the floor on cars with a manual transmission.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you,

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/4/25 4:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
MC was mounted just behind the steering gear on all manual brake cars through 56 unless it was a Torsion Level car with manual brakes. On those it was mounted under the floor because of clearance problems with the bars.

Posted on: 2021/4/25 7:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am curious about what happens at the pedal side to accommodate the end mount type masters.

It would appear with mounting the setup in the original frame location the thickness of the bracket plus the extra distance needed to accommodate the widely spaced mounting ears of the new master, the center line of the assembly will be moved a good two inches or more inward from the original master. What was done at the pedal side pivot attachment point or to the push rod itself to move the cylinder side end of the rod so it can meet the piston center in a straight line?

Looking at a photo of the original master and how the rod comes thru an opening in the frame, there does not look to be a lot of room for rod position changes. Also, what happens to the bellcrank for the shift linkage?

Attach file:

jpg  manual master.jpg (50.25 KB)
209_60859e33cf35f.jpg 1324X648 px

Posted on: 2021/4/25 9:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Not buying the kool aid here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Motors_Corporation

Brake manufacturers made the masters not car companies. AMC did no direct parts manufacturing, they sourced all their items. They bought from different places in different years. So did Packard to some extent, like the bodies. If you ever owned a Jeep, you might have a Ford engine, GM trans, Essex wiring, Dana axles, Spicer gears, and lights from Grote, or someone else.
Wagner, Bendix, etc created the brake parts, owned the patents, and sold them to the car companies. Packard (post war) used Wagner as some of the others where owned or controlled by the big three.
This is not a task for someone that doesn't know brake systems. It's a safety system, so needs the right engineering. Volume and pressure must match the wheel cylinders. DOT controls part of the system, sets standards usually off SAE or other recommendations. Not saying it's not commonly done, but can lead to accidents if not done right. Get in touch with a certified mechanic.
If you look at the single castings, there's usually a second port cast but not drilled and tapped. The piston assembly has to change to operate two ports.

Posted on: 2021/4/25 19:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Chris, I had Ross Miller convert the Easamatic brake system on my 55 Clipper (non Torsion Level) to a conventional single master cylinder. All parts (pedal, cylinder, etc.) were from a pre-55 Packard. I was most pleased with the performance, smooth and efficient without much pedal pressure needed. Many non power brake Packard parts out there. I think you will like the change.

Posted on: 2021/4/27 11:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
MC was mounted just behind the steering gear on all manual brake cars through 56 unless it was a Torsion Level car with manual brakes. On those it was mounted under the floor because of clearance problems with the bars.

Thank you Ross, that clears up a lot. I saw some manual masters were mounted both ways but thought the under the floor layout was with manual trans vehicles.

The plan is to mount a modern booster and dual circuit master under the floor like hotrodders do. In order to achieve this, I need the rod going towards the back of the car, not the front.

So, for what I'm trying to do, I think the 55+ manual setup would be best.

Does anyone know if the 55+ pedal setup would bolt onto a 54- frame?

I suppose I could always modify the bottom of a 54- pedal to make this work as well.

What do you guys think?

-Chris

Quote:

JWL wrote:
Chris, I had Ross Miller convert the Easamatic brake system on my 55 Clipper (non Torsion Level) to a conventional single master cylinder. All parts (pedal, cylinder, etc.) were from a pre-55 Packard. I was most pleased with the performance, smooth and efficient without much pedal pressure needed. Many non power brake Packard parts out there. I think you will like the change.

Thanks for the reply JWL. I have thought about going with only manual brakes, but aside from trying to get rid of the Treadle-Vac, I'm trying to upgrade to a dual circuit master cylinder.

As of now, it sounds like the only way I'm going to achieve this, is by mounting it under the floor like the 55+ cars. If I'm going to have to go through all that just to mount the dual circuit, I'm thinking adding a booster won't be too much more work.

With that being said, I thank you for your input because I haven't driven a Packard with manual brakes and was under the impression that it wouldn't be a pleasant experience. After your reply, if I can't make the booster work, I won't worry about it too much.

Thanks again!

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/4/27 12:37
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved