Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 42

Joe, CCR, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Rubber for "rear vent windows"
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Would be interesting to know if that fixed window was standard on all the 2492s or was in fact special equipment. Parts book makes it sound like it was standard. 2592s used the opening vent and no mention of special equipment being available.. Will see if Neals book has anything to offer.

Can't believe it was that much cheaper to make and stock a special window assy than to use a standard opening vent unless it was for a special purpose. Maybe it was for thwarting curtain climbers occupying the rear seat -- but that doesn't make sense because the car still has big windows.

If it wasn't special purpose, I guess they weren't kidding when they tried to make an inexpensive bare bones 51 model. Does seem strange for the buyer of your car to choose an inexpensive car with a fixed window and yet option the model up considerably. I believe only the turn signals were standard.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 21:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
my 51 200 has fixed triangular windows behind the rear windows. I think only the Senior series had the pivoting ones.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Did you need to replace the rubber around them David?

John

Posted on: 2016/2/13 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Yup, the ones on my car are in lousy condition - which is surprising since all of the other window rubber is good.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 22:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Not just the senior cars, at least by 1952. My car has has opening rear vent windows. Luckily the shed apparently kept my window rubber in decent shape, mine are all still flexible.

Posted on: 2016/2/14 0:02
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Non-functional rear door vent window appears to be the standard equipment for 1951-52 200 sedans. The 200 Deluxe have the functional vent windows along with the 300 and Patricians. By 1953, looks as if even the base Clipper Specials have the functional rear door vent windows.

Rubber floor mats, radio delete plates, plain interiors, vacuum wipers, no heater-defroster, dog-dish hubcaps....it was a different era.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/2/14 8:57
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
One option I left out, it does have fender skirts too.
Okay rear quarter windows in rear doors. Got a chance today to pull the car cover up and check out the passenger side rear door. The glass is surrounded by a piece of rubber with a channel in it for the glass to fit into.
So this kind of leaves this in limbo, for I've not seen a rubber gasket shown for these. 2 options available,
retrofit with regular wing windows that do open and the gaskets are available for. Or make a Packup out of it....

John

Posted on: 2016/2/14 14:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you can figure out a shape Steele has multiple examples of glass strip sold by the foot. He lists 183 shapes and while it is obvious many wouldn't work, it still might be worthwhile to check out his dense extrusions in the universal parts section. Here are a couple of Steeles as an example of what I am thinking could be possibilities. Metro Molded Rubber also has some different shapes.

The length would probably need to be slit or cut and formed at the corners but unless the setting is really strange it should be possible.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.81 KB)
209_56c0dab339165.jpg 272X550 px

Posted on: 2016/2/14 14:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
FYI.....My 1951 200 4Dr has a opening wind wing on all 4 doors and was optioned with Delco Signal search radio, elect antenna, ultramatic, backup lights, wheel covers, windshield washers, tinted front windshield, rubber floor mats and heater and defroster.

Posted on: 2016/2/14 15:17
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Sounds like it is well optioned. Mine just has the dog dish hub caps with trim rings.
John

Posted on: 2016/2/14 15:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved