Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 85

flanman, Stimpy Cat, Danny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Packard in an unlikely place
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
... we oft visited Ed Jurist's wonderful Vintage Car Store in Nyack

Su8, have we talked about this before? Ed Jurist's magnificent emporium was just a few miles north of where I live and I visited it regularly in the 60s and 70s - who knows, our paths might even have crossed there at some point. In fact that's where I found my current '34 Eight sedan, on consignment from the original owner. Inside the showroom were the RR's made for some Maharaja, the Locos, and the like. The lowly Packards (at the time mine and a 35 Super Eight convertible) were in the outdoors lot.

Thankfully, there are some restorers who adhere fanatically to originality and still win Pebble best of show or best in class, even with unpolished cylinder heads or other incorrect embellishments.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 9:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Um, uh, relax sports fans. I never said all the Rabble gladiators were evil, vile people. Let's try remedial reading. I knew several of them. Only said that for many genuine car cuckoos, as Jean Shepherd used to call us and himself (ancient Morgan Plus-4), janitorial d'non-elegances like Monterey are for the birds, and have n o t h i n g to do with the original automotive concourses.

Owen, absolutely. In fact, older friends of mine, newlyweds at the time, had and still have a nice, straight, unmolested '38 Twelve victoria. They'd drive into Manhattan, park on the street without a care, take in a movie. This was circa 1960. About that time, they took it to a greater NYC CCCA meet and a couple pompous sorts minced over and dismissed their car as "too new" and an abomination with its big pontoon fenders instead of the 1933-34 clamshells.

The Vintage Car Store. After high school, six of us, three guys, three girls, would climb into our friend's '53 Plymouth Belvedere, drive into neighboring Yonkers for Carvel's Ice Cream, and why gravelly-voiced Tom Carvel insisted on voicing his own radio spots we'll never know. Coming back on the Sawmill River Parkway, I see Ed Jurist, bundled in tweeds that autumn afternoon, in the other direction, toward the city, barreling along in a big deep green Cricklewood Bentley 4 1/2-liter, surrounded by the usual egregious Motown tin of the day.
Some of watched the Avengers as much for Steed's Bentley as Emma Peel.

Ah, youth. Cue Mary Hopkins. Everybody out of the pool!

Posted on: 2016/2/3 16:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2016/2/3 18:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thank you, OZ.

BTW, a prominent gearhead out here started an annual "Anti-Football Rally" 25 years ago for anything pre-1954 in the spirit of the Mille Miglia but all manner of auld sporting and road cars showed and show up, including a recreation of Jean Trevoux's Carrera Panamericana '51 Packard, reasoning most vintage car buffs are too bright to sit inside gaping at concussion ball. So Stupor Bowl Sunday might be a good day to blow the cobwebs out of your alter ego for those of you living in a realm like this which has the nation's worse traffic after only LA.

Take it easy.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 19:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's Mary Hopkin without the s.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 18:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"It's Mary Hopkin without the s"
- Fixed!

Posted on: 2016/2/5 21:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
A tip of The Hat for my namesake Mal and the brief respite from the current cackle of today. Mary Hopkin indeed!

Attach file:

jpg  (4.03 KB)
23_56b56ea04721f.jpg 171X295 px

Posted on: 2016/2/5 22:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roadster
See User information
Check out this unlike lift of a Packard to the 7th floor of an apartment building on the coast of Florida.

Attach file:

jpg  (68.81 KB)
19771_56c0f24013f5b.jpg 1121X800 px

Posted on: 2016/2/14 16:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
someone has faith, looks shaky to me,

did it say why?

Posted on: 2016/2/14 16:57
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roadster
See User information
The owner wanted the car placed in their living room. I found the picture on Instagram (#packard).

Posted on: 2016/2/14 17:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved