Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

intake and exhaust manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
where does one send off the intake and exhaust manifold to get redone in porcelain or what ever it is

Posted on: 2016/2/3 11:36
 Top  Print   

Re: intake and exhaust manifold
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, it's porcelain. If you get Hemmings Motor News you'll find several vendors. No recent personal experience but one that many have used is Prairie Auto Porcelain in Faribault, MN. Note that the process may warp the cast iron so after porcelainizing you may have to have the mating surfaces remachined - something you should discuss with any vendor you chose.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Some people have also been using ceramic coating (even though not authentic, it looks very similar), which coats both the inside and the outside of the manifolds.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 12:51
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Independence Porcelain Enamel did the intake and exhaust manifolds for my '37 120 in porcelain three months ago. They did an excellent job at a reasonable price. You can contact them at:

Jeff Gaylord
Independence Porcelain Enamel
703 South Cottage Ave
Independence, MO 64050

tel: (816)252-8180
email: jwgaylord@aol.com

Posted on: 2016/2/3 14:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The cars through 1932 are robust enough to endure the process without a lot of drama. After that the process is risky. I've seen manifolds break into pieces beyond any repair. Another problem is the porcelain flaking off refinished parts making it a waste of money (and a hazard because of the glass flying around when the motor is running).

One alternative is high temperature powder coat. It is not as shiny, but it will not destroy parts. Intake manifolds don't exhibit the same problems as the exhaust because they are not subject to erosion and oxygen invasion as are exhaust manifolds.

For awhile black chrome was the rage but fell out of favor because it could change color. I thought it was pretty good.

The clubs aren't deducting for porcelain anymore so I wouldn't bother trying it.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 15:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The high-temp powder coat is the ceramic coat I mentioned earlier.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 16:38
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For a car that's driven regularly porcelain on the exhaust will probably begin to fail in a year or two. I went with Jet-Hot or Jet-Coat the last time. No match to the gloss and color of the correct porcelain but a lot more permanent.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 16:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The powder coat stuff is a silicone based plastic. It will come off if you spill strong solvents on it. But it does hold up well. Porcelain is a ceramic.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 20:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved