Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 70

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Six exhaust and intake manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
After we had the valves redone on my 1939 Packard Six, the exhaust manifold has leaked. I have read many have sent the manifolds off to be resurfaced, some have put them on a belt sander but recently, I found an intake and exhaust gasket, reportedly OEM. Did this vehicle have intake and exhaust manifold gaskets?

Posted on: 2016/2/3 20:47
 Top  Print 

Re: Six exhaust and intake manifold
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
I also have a '39 Six and have recently gone through the motor. The Intake and exhaust manifold does use a gasket. I had to have mine surfaced but had a difficult time finding a machine shop to do that, I have a milling machine so I set it up and fly cut the surfaces. In my case, I milled the exhaust and intake seperatley as the exhaust seemed to be pretty far off. When I went to reinstall the manifolds, I left the bottom bolts loose that hold the intake and exhaust together just below the carburetor. Once the manifolds were tight to the cylinder block, I tightened the bolts that are in the center, holding the two manifolds together. It worked perfectly and there are no leaks.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 21:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks John, guess I will order the gasket set. Car did not have one when I pulled the head but not certain that was the first time it was pulled.
You do any work on the shift linkages? This one is pretty well worn out

Posted on: 2016/2/3 22:17
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
Yes, I did a lot to it. I pulled the steering column and seperated the collar just below the steering wheel, I machined the end of the shifter rod that went into that collar and made a bronze bushing for the collar. At the bottom of the steering column, I took that apart because the aluminum piece that is threaded to hold the lower end of the shift rod was bad, I brazed up and rethreaded the lower end of the shift rod and taped the threads in the aluminum end. I built new ends for the actual shift linkages to the trans. and now it seems to shift perfectly.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.02 KB)
11516_56b32ef58f7dd.jpg 510X680 px

jpg  (38.07 KB)
11516_56b32f235c02a.jpg 408X544 px

jpg  (22.94 KB)
11516_56b32f3eac2b6.jpg 408X544 px

Posted on: 2016/2/4 6:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Great information, thanks. I was considering something similar, bronze bushings in the two cast pieces and then I saw somewhere shaft repair kits, Mcmaster I think. Just found NOS and ordered the two shift lever arms. I will post dis-assembly and progress.

Thanks John !

Posted on: 2016/2/4 9:02
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved