Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Aluminum block cleaning Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Believe these Crankcases were painted with Silver Varnish so dont think u need to get it looking like new piece of aluminum

Posted on: 2016/2/7 9:17
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Bow
See User information
"A major facility in Pennsylvania is Penn Yan Aero, www.pennyanaero.com. Start there and see what they say"

I don't mean to be chicken ____ about it but PennYanAero is in Penn Yan, New York.
They should be able to tell you what would clean is since the aircraft engine cases are aluminum and since they, Penn Yan, do great work.

Posted on: 2016/2/7 13:22
Bilbo
1937 120C Sport Coupe

Continuously snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
How about that, learn new things every day. Phone call still might not hurt.

Posted on: 2016/2/7 15:09
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Thanks for all the response I probably spent 4 to 6 hours on the phone. Some places said they could do it but even though I gave them the measurements when I got there they said there machine was to small. I found a place called automotive and industial machine in Souderton Pa I dropped it off a day or so ago. They did say that they paint the block with aluminum paint after its clean. They are working on several aluminum block engines now. I also called the aircraft place they had the same style machine but to small for the Packard engine but I thought it was a good suggestion. Where Packard engine aluminum crankcases Painted from new?

Posted on: 2016/2/8 12:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Where Packard engine aluminum crankcases Painted from new?

Dont have that NAIL IN THE COFFIN but ive found Alum/Silver Paint on Crank Case to Pan NUTS on some virgin engines, ive taken apart, which leads me to believe they were paint after assy. Never have found Glyptal Red function is to seal the porosity of the aluminum casting on the inside of a PACKARD engine which many mfg used. Just makes sense they would use a sealant on the outside. PLUS another piece of info that makes me think this is the way they went is i have a LINCOLN Service Letter that states to use Silver Varnish when they rebuild an engine.

JUST ONE MANS OPINION & Ive Been Wrong Before

Posted on: 2016/2/8 15:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Old zinc and especially cadmium plating will weather, flake off, and act like paint.

Besides that I have never seen any indication, or seen a reference - eg Turnquist - mention crankcases being painted. Turnquist states unequivocally they were not painted. If they were then that would have been the practice for the past 60 years. I have factory photos indicating they were not painted (transmission painted silver motor not painted). Cast iron rocker follower covers were painted, but aluminum ones weren't. You can be sure that if they were supposed to be painted Hirsch would sell it.

As far as painting them goes, the right tone of base coat with clear coat actually looks pretty darn good. I wouldn't deduct for that even if someone was hooting about it on the field.

The glyptol thing is just a religion with no engineering justification. Buick painted the inside of their motors.

I did find one case where a Packard owner had a dealer remove the motor and polish the crankcase to a mirror finish.

As for cleaning, I used to use a steam jenny (maybe you can rent one), elbow grease, and soft steel wool on the outside only. The only oil passages in the pre-34 motors is the rocker follower and camshaft feed from the rear main. However the camshaft has a plug that can be removed for cleaning the internal gallery. Later motors have feeds for pressure regulation.

Posted on: 2016/2/8 16:07
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved