Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 79

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Tires
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
So I think it's time to make the change. I've been rolling around on cheapo Walmart radials since the car was in pieces, and while they have served me well. The amount of effort required to turn them while pulling into and out of a parking space has become enough for me. As a reminder, I do not have power steering, so trying to turn that radial at no/very slow speed with it's huge contact patch on the ground requires two hands and nearly all the upper body strength I can muster. Because of that, the car is undrivable for my fiancee.

Now once the car is moving about 3mph+, the steering effortless.

Also I really want some period looking "pie-crust" tires on the car, and I'm thinking of going the ply-bias route with there narrower footprint to make no/low speed steering easier. My car is fair-weather driver, not worried about driving in the weather or high-speed cornering.

So these look like a good deal in the 760-15 size I require:

https://www.cokertire.com/760-15-coker-classic-3-whitewall-tire.html

Pretty much the same price as ordering from Coker directly, only, you get free shipping for Summit, and over the web I won't have to pay any sales tax. Also for my birthday, my fiancee said she would pay for 1/2 of the order. Looking at spending $200 per tire or less.

I also like these Universal ones as well, but couldn't find a free shipping deal on those:

https://www.universaltire.com/760-15-universal-3-inch-whitewall.html

Shipping is like $40 per tire, so that adds up quickly, and they still need to be mounted and balanced once they arrive. So trying to keep the costs down.

Comments?

Posted on: 2016/2/4 16:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Tires
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Which Walmart radial tire did you buy? I was figuring on going that round on this '51 eventually.
I guess you are just getting to old to drive a Packard anymore Kev......

John

Posted on: 2016/2/4 16:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, my two one-hundredths of a dollar is I would keep the radials and install power steering. Parts should be easy to find and not too much dinero either. You could keep your steering box even though is has a slower ratio than the one fitted with the PS cars. Probably cost much less than a new set of repro tires, and you and your fiancee can enjoy easy low speed steering. One complication would be driving the pump as you car is going to have AC.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/2/4 17:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
JW, at this point the radials are about 10 years old. Even though they have extremely low amount of miles on them and are kept out of the weather, I am sure they are due for a change at some point.

Plus, I really like the look of the correct tires.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 17:21
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
PTV, I would have to go look at them. They were like $40 tires when I bought them just to have a rolling chassis.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 17:22
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Yes, 10-year old tires. Time to retire (as the old Fisk ad used to say).

Power steering may still be in your future. Those Contour Packard were not the easiest to park and manouver (sp.?) at low speeds.

This reminds me that the Diamondbacks on the 115C are nearing their 10th anniversary. Always garaged and still look great. They are Hankooks.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/2/5 14:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I know that this isn't what you asked but installing factory power steering is remarkably easy to do and is all bolt-in once the mount plate is made and welded to the left outside frame. As pointed out, your A/C might be the only issue. By installing power steering you will also be decreasing your turning radius by using the longer Pitman arm that the power steering uses. I was not aware that the gearbox itself was different but thought the difference was only in the Pitman's length so I'll have to take a look at the parts book to see the difference.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 15:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Last fall I bought a set of American Classic 3 1/4-inch white wall steel-belted radials for my '55 Clipper. These tires have a higher profile and fluted edges at the tread line, so at first glance, they look like bias plies. They look terrific and the car rides and handles like a dream. I bought them from Lucas Tires in California and had them installed a Goodyear dealership. The only downside is their cost -- $260 each! Oh well ...

Something I would advise folks with antique cars that are not daily drivers is to check your tires regularly for dry rot. Most modern tires last about four or five years, but people with collector cars might assume that because they do not drive their cars regularly and do not put much mileage on them per year, the tires will last a lot longer. This, unfortunately, is a fallacy. While the tread on your regular drivers may get worn down faster and subsequently need more frequent servicing, the tires on your Packards get dry when parked for extended periods.

I found out the hard way when I had a blow-out on the left rear tire of my Clipper. The car was not damaged, but it was a hassle nonetheless. I hope none of you find out that way that your tires need changing, even though they may look just fine.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 15:49
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Tires aside, PS would be easy to do and I would be surprised if Gerry doesn't have every thing you need. Not sure on 54 but think the cylinder bracket can bolt on using some empty holes instead of weld. If you went the simpler Monroe unit instead of the Bendix then there might be some small fabrication,

On the 55-6 you can stack PS pulleys on the damper and use a second PS pulley for AC. I won't say for a positive fact that stacking is possible on the 54 but Ross would know. Maybe it would take a couple of spacers and longer bolts so worth investigating.

You have the pump bracket you were going to use for the compressor. Not sure how easy it will be to mount the compressor in that bracket -- particularly if it is the revised and stronger 54 pump bracket with the top brace. If you have that version so much the better for PS use. You could use the mount Ross devised for the compressor. Mounting on the right would also help in running the lines down the passenger side.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 15:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I believe that HH56 is right that the '54 doesn't need the bracket welded on. The last time I added P/S was to my 1952 Henney-Packard Nu-3-Way and had forgotten that the chassis was drilled after that. As for the P/S, even with the large and heavy 7.50X16 6ply or 8ply tires, my 6200lb Henney's wheel could be turned with one finger to back it into my old carport and the turning radius was also tighter making it even easier. Believe it or not, it was one of my every-day cars!

If your car is parked for any length of time, it's best to lift the weight off the tires. If you do, they'll last far longer.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 18:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved