Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Tires
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, Gerry has the PS steering gear, but not the pump or bracket. I don't have a PS bracket as I have the A/C bracket that Ross built for me. Which not begs the question if I install the PS setup, will that throw off the AC compressor pulley alignment. I'll have to consult with Ross on that. Also I wound need to find a good pump and bracket to go the power steering route.

Posted on: 2016/2/6 10:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I must be confused. I thought at one time you had the bracket and were thinking of mounting a Sanden using the PS bracket and then using that space on the engine for the AC. If you did add PS then very little flexibility on belts if that were the case. The PS pump would need its proper space and pulley, AC pulley would be in front. If the compressor bracket is the rectangular tube with the curved arms welded on that Ross posted earlier, the bracket would probably have to be reworked.

Posted on: 2016/2/6 10:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard,

At one time that was my intended direction. But I never ended up buying the PS bracket, and Ross delivered me one of his AC brackets, so that was the direction things took.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 11:32
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
So, PS steering aside, back to orgignal question. As far as ply-bias "pie-crust" tires go; Coker or Universal brand? I know there are other brands and options, but looking at spending less than $200 a tire.

I know some people have some issue with the Coker's in the past. but I haven't heard anything recently in regards to that. So sounds like whatever that was, it was sorted out.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 11:35
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also based on a suggestion from Jim, I looked at the BF Goodrich Version. 760x15 with a 3-3/8 WW.

Summit Racing also has them, if ordered online, it would free shipping and no sales tax. So $214 a tire.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-59400

I talked to a Coker rep and asked them what the difference was in the Coker versus BF version:

Different Tread Pattern
Different Load Capacity
BF made in USA
Coker version made in Mexico

So at $214, it's a little bit more than my $200 cap, but if it's going to be a superior tire, and I can get it dropped on my doorstep with no tax or shipping, then perhaps that is the way to go.

Any comments on any of these tires?

Posted on: 2016/2/10 13:49
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
2-1/2 white wall or 3-3/8"? Which is more fitting what was original in 1954?

I think this size looks about right. Is that 2-1/2" or 3-3/8"?

I see some whitewalls on cars that look too wide, so I dont want that look. Some of the photos I see on Cokers site use the same photo regardless of WW size, so just trying to get a visual on what size WW this one is.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.63 KB)
1_56bbaa3abdcd6.jpg 400X400 px

Posted on: 2016/2/10 16:25
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I think the 2 1/2" would be more appropriate but really it's just a matter of taste. I've seen Packard literature with various sizes so I doubt one is more authentic than the other.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 16:34
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think the general trend between 1950 and 1960 was the WW getting size smaller and smaller.

Just curious what the consensus is since I am buying them sight unseen.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 16:38
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I could be hallucinating but don't think you would be wrong on either. To my untrained eye there appears to be a subtle difference in the amount of black space below the wws on these two 54 cars -- as if they may have used different widths like maybe 2 1/2 on the Clipper and 3 3/8 on the Packard or maybe different brand tires.

Attach file:

jpg  (134.75 KB)
209_56bbb1622f6aa.jpg 1280X914 px

Posted on: 2016/2/10 16:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Kev, my car was shod with the Cokers between 2001-2003, and was parked. When I got the car a few years ago, the tires still had the lil nibs on them...and they were still holding air after 8-10 years of sitting. The white had discolored, but a very quick scrub with blechewhite took care of that. I've been able to put several hundred miles on them without issue, and there is NO sign of dry rot.

I read on the Coker website at some point that they have a "tread life warranty", meaning they're covered as long as there is tread on the tires. Apparently they are formulated to last longer than modern tires.

As for driving performance, I have no reference/comparison basis as this is the only set of tires I've had on the car, and only car with bias tires I've ever driven, but I don't have any complaints.

I hope this helps! I'll measure the WW width this evening.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 17:03
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved