Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

A/C on ebay
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For those interested in 53/54 A/C, these are the same interior fresh air ducts that Packard used. They mount on the inside of the quarter panel underneath the external air scoops. Just need to add the bowden cables and rear package tray turn levers. Good price for them if you want to make functional air scoops.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201502389178?_mwBanner=1

Posted on: 2016/2/6 10:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: A/C on ebay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good catch and good price for the duct flapper valves but not sure they can work as is on a Packard.

I believe, but can't prove via conclusive photos, that Packard and Cadillac started out equal in the 53 reintroduction of AC. They both used the Frigidaire unit and mechanically they were all but identical. There is a question about the compressors being exactly the same in 53. I have no layout or interior photos of the 53 Cadillac to know if the air openings were the same but here is Packards 53 and 54 layout.

It seems they diverged in 54 because there were considerable refinements by Cadillac whereas Packard kept the same unit and layout.

Interior wise Packard had the same return air and vent positioning in 53-54, both going thru the package shelf. Although the parts manual doesn't show the change, Packard apparently did replace the flat shelf cold air louvers with the clear plastic ducts that opened just above the rear window sometime in 54.

Again, no photos of a 53 Cadillac air flow to know if it was the same as 53 Packard but in 54 Cadillac had a considerably different air flow and trunk unit than the holdover unit Packard used for 54.

The 54 Cadillac return air came from under the rear seat as prewar Packards had done and the cold air was ducted above the headliner and came out in a couple of adjustable grills in the headliner on each side located above the side windows. The compressor had a solenoid operating a clutch that started the compressor when the unit was turned on. Packard kept the constant on compressor where you had to remove the belt to stop the compressor. Temp control on both was adjustable with the electrically controlled heater fooling the thermostat to control hot gas bypass on both but Packard kept the glass thermostat whereas Cadillac went to a less delicate metal unit.

The other difference is in the outside air control where those ebay ducts are used. In Cadillac there was a separate opening on the evaporator case for the duct valves to mount but it appears Packard incorporated their outside air control in the sides of the return air filter housing. Packard used a separate knob control for each side and Cadillac had a single knob that operated both sides.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.94 KB)
209_56b626175ad3f.jpg 1040X1280 px

jpg  (71.33 KB)
209_56b62620e8436.jpg 1280X758 px

Posted on: 2016/2/6 12:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, I finally located the picture I was looking for. This is a 53-54 Packard A/C internal ducts, cables and rear deck control knobs.

I think the shape looks the same as the Cadillac ones listed on eBay.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.98 KB)
1_56b7cba369dd6.jpg 1280X760 px

Posted on: 2016/2/7 17:57
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You could be right about the duct assys. I just don't have a good enough shot of an evaporator top to know if the ducts are physically separate and are actually located behind the return air filter assys or are a part of them.

The control I am almost positive is Cadillacs version. I have one of those around somewhere that came off a Cad. The printing and bezel on that control looks different than Packards. The parts book and photos of the components on the Packard shelf show two knobs for controls instead of the single.

When I did the Pacific mentioned in another thread I was going to use a 54 or 5 Cad setup so took the unit out of a junkyard car. I do remember a pair of those ducts were on top. Found that because of the return air the Cad unit would not fit without messing with the Packard X bracing behind the seat. Chucked that idea and made my own case using photos in the service manual and some photos of a Packard install. Silly me did not think to get in the trunk to take good shots of the top and sides of the Packard evaporator when I had the opportunity-- just have shots from the outside not much different than those in SM.

This photo posted somewhere else shows the shelf and controls. You can tell it is 54 because of the senior knobs with the triangle motif. A photo of the car I looked at has junior or maybe 53 knobs. If anyone has a decent photo of an evaporator top I would be most interested if it could be posted. I looked at the photos I collected of that unit on ebay last year and none of them show the top at all.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.16 KB)
209_56b7daf38bee4.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (23.99 KB)
209_56b7df1ce3a0a.jpg 757X395 px

Posted on: 2016/2/7 19:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You're probably right. Those ducts came out of Yocum's shed, and I know he was stock piling original Packard A/C parts to put it in his 53 Patty. So I assumed those were Packard parts.

Posted on: 2016/2/7 20:23
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
What are the knobs on the parcel shelf for?

Posted on: 2016/2/7 21:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They work flapper valves that controls the amount of outside air admitted to the unit from the scoops on the fenders.

Posted on: 2016/2/7 21:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you and that's what I thought. Seems awkward but probably better than running cables to the dash!

Posted on: 2016/2/7 22:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved