Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 117

CartRich, Packard5687, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

"Goddess of Speed" ornament on a 110??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Is there any scenario where it would be correct to have a "Goddess of Speed" ornament on a 1941 110? I know the stock hood ornament is the simple horizontal strake but could a "Goddess of Speed" have been custom ordered from the factory as part of a new car?

I'm considering "upgrading" to one but not if it will scream historical inaccuracy!

Thanks

Posted on: 2016/2/9 15:38
 Top  Print 

Re: "Goddess of Speed" ornament on a 110??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Absolutely. I love that ornament. It looks great from behind the wheel going down the road. It was an approved accessory so I you want it, buy it.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 15:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
as states, an option, but I assume you know that plain (no grooves) and colored wings are aftermarket

Attach file:

jpg  (41.92 KB)
1020_56ba56a13e38b.jpg 900X600 px

jpg  (41.92 KB)
1020_56ba56e79e6ef.jpg 900X600 px

Posted on: 2016/2/9 16:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
OK, thanks! I thought the Goddess was reserved for the senior cars.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 17:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I had an original barn find car, a 41 110 that had belonged to a previously well off family in Alabama. Their fortunes had suffered during the depression, but they still had a Packard, even if it was a 110 sedan. It had the Goddess of Speed hood ornament, Deluxe radio, Deluxe heater/defroster, banjo steering wheel, chrome wheel rings, and override bumper protectors. My Dad used to ride in the car as a young man just out of college. The family had the plain jane six, but they dolled it up using the accessory catalog. Here is the 39 version; I suspect the 41 is much the same.

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1939_AccessoryBrochure.pdf

Posted on: 2016/2/9 22:08
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

analyse
See User information
My own car is a 1941 110 Touring Sedan Deluxe.

It came with the original hood emblem, but has now been upgraded with an original GOS accessory emblem (along with a few other genuine accessory parts).

Personally I agree totally with maintaining originality where possible, but also think its entirely fair to accept that owners could and in many cases did upgrade their cars with the correct accessories as a matter of choice, which is why I felt OK about going that route, and for me it really enhances the car, as do all the period accessories. End of the day its a personal choice, and of course is easily reversible, so what harm ?

Best Regards,

Howard.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.78 KB)
31582_57275c04d4007.jpg 320X217 px

Posted on: 2016/5/2 8:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My first Packard, 1939 Six, had it too. My 1940 was my every day car in the late '60s and early '70 also had it but I opted for an NOS bail ornament most of the time since the other was too tempting when left parked somewhere.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 15:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Just to stir the pot a little, by 1942 the Data Book specifies that the Winged Goddess of Speed and the Cormorant were reserved for, "Models: All convertibles and long wheelbase senior cars only."

See the 1942 Accessory Data Book, page 7/26 here:
http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1942_AccessoryDataBook.pdf

I checked my 1941 Accessory Data Book and while it lists both hood ornaments, it is silent as to what model is appropriate.

BTW, the base model hood ornament is called the "feather" and it increases in size as you move up from the 110 to 120 to 160/180. If you notice it mimics the shape on the top of the fender lamps.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 19:32
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, that's true that the 110/120 had a smaller feather than the others but with an exception. The 120A had the larger one.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 19:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
in 42, was " convertibles and lwb seniors" another way of saying ' non-Clippers"?

Posted on: 2016/5/2 20:13
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved