Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

Charles, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

F.I. on an inline 8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Anyone here experimented with throttle body fuel injection on their straight 8? I have a Holley Pro Injection setup that works on engines up to 300 c.i.
I've seen a couple guys add GM throttle bodies on 235 Chevy 6's. Another guy has a whole setup adapting them for use on IH engines.

John

Posted on: 2016/2/9 20:20
 Top  Print   

Re: F.I. on an inline 8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
why would anyone want to put TBI on and engine when they use a carburetor????? What do u expect to gain??? 2 miles per gallon better mpg????

Posted on: 2016/2/9 21:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Don't you have to run 12V and have a HEI ignition system and an electric fuel pump along with an oxygen sensor (meaning you cant use any lead substitute additives) to use this thing?

Posted on: 2016/2/9 21:36
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
The Holley setup I have is a stand alone unit, and uses no oxygen sensor ect.....
I doubt with the Holley I have any or hardly any change would be noted in fuel mileage. Yes 12 volt would be required for the computer. Distributor, I don't know. but an interesting point. Has anyone adapted an HEI to a Packard?
John

Posted on: 2016/2/9 21:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I do think you would need electronic ignition and an electric fuel pump, even for an open loop system like the Holley. The Pertronix drop-in unit would likely function nicely with the system, and I think it would be a fun mod. The TBI systems are essentially computer controlled carbs, so as long as you matched to displacement and CFM, I think you'd be fine.

In the bench racing category, I would like to build a 1937 Packard 115 coupe with either a mildly turbo-charged six or a later eight fitted in with a hot cam and maybe forced induction. Obviously not stock, but it would be nearly all Packard. Fun to think about.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 22:07
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Yeah the Holley setup I have comes with an electric fuel pump and you have to add a return line back to the gas tank for it.... Also needs a tach signal.
John

Posted on: 2016/2/10 10:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Not much redeeming social value here. The young guns won't know what a straight eight is, nor like it's limitations, and the old guys won't appreciate messing with one. Might as well drop a SBC in it. Lot of expense to replace a one bbl carb????

Posted on: 2016/2/10 11:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Yeah no dreamers around anymore...... John

Posted on: 2016/2/10 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
A little history. Once the lead was removed from gasoline and PCV's and EGR's were mandated, vehicles started racking up 200,000 miles on a common basis. If you go back to the petroleum engineering research of the 50's and 60's the papers concluded that reducing emissions will lead to longer motor life because the motor oil would remain cleaner.

One of the reason's mandated emissions controls on vehicles was not unconstitutional capture was because the consumer would benefit with lower operating costs due to cleaner combustion.

Thus, using a TBI on a carbureted engine should result in longer life providing a PCV and EGR are added as well.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 16:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi John

Since you have the components and if you have the know-how or access to it, I'd say give it a whirl. A TBI system certainly isn't going to harm the engine. Dependent upon how perfected it is, could make driving your 200 in urban traffic less worrisome.

Thirty years ago I had a '70 Lincoln sedan I enjoyed, have thought about acquiring another, fitting it with the TBI system they installed on 460 engines in '90's Ford trucks. Bet it would get up and run, maybe even get 12 mpg, never got more than 10 mpg, heavy foot or not.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/2/10 19:46
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved