Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: F.I. on an inline 8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
One of the Packard info members a while back could modify pontiac HEI distributors for use in packards. You could search for that. I know nothing about the holley system, but would think you could just use the Signal from the coil?
If you do install the System, i would suggest adding a wide Band O2 sensor in the down pipe. Not for closed loop function, but so you can see how the mixture is. Then you can get it really dialed in.

Posted on: 2016/2/11 0:53
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi John,
I'm in the fuel injection business by day, and old car hobby on the weekends, so I think it's a cool idea. I read the holley pro-jection 2D instructions, and you can just use the ground signal from the packard distributor for the tach signal on the holley brain. -No need for HEI from what I see.
Installing the fuel pump and return line is probably going to be the biggest task, but if you don't mind doing that, I think it could improve drivability if set up right. Does the TBI also have a port for the PCV? you could install that on the engine as well.
From the instructions I have, you can add an 02 sensor so the system runs in closed loop. I would do that if possible, but it's up to you.
I guess you also have to install a water temp sensor, but that shouldn't be too hard. You might be able to combine it with the stock sensor.
I remember talking with a guy who worked at ford years ago when they were testing the 6 cyl engines with a single carb. He said the end cyls would be lean, and the center cyls would be fat. Going to port injection where you have an injector for each cyl gets each cyl "right on the money" as far as mixture is concerned. The holley TBI setup isn't going to be that efficient, but is still cool.

Posted on: 2016/2/11 3:59
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
E-ignition, EFI, TBI, various sensors.
So how many spare parts will have to be carried in the case of a EFI or e-ignition failure???? And how much are those spare parts going to COST????

Let us assume we carry spare ECM's and sensors and so forth. Then better test out those e-parts to make sure they work.

I've bought at least 3 BRAND NEW IN THE BOX ECM's for production modern cars over the last 20 years that were bad streight out of the sealed box. There is no way to look at any e-device to determine if it is faulty by anykind of VISUAL inspection.

Replacement parts for Aftermarket e-ignition and FI could be obsolete in 10 years or impossible to find.

Posted on: 2016/2/11 8:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
And how much is a spare EFI or TBI fuel pump cost?????

Posted on: 2016/2/11 8:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To each his own. To me one of the most rewarding aspects of old car ownership, the social aspects aside, was learning to understand and care for mechanical and electrical systems of the era.

Posted on: 2016/2/11 11:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Well said, Sir

Posted on: 2016/2/13 1:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I'm planning on dual EFI by EZ-EFI on my 55 with the dual intake manifold I have. Right now it's a single carb.

I'm going MSD EFI with MSD ignition that is controlled by the EFI on my dart as well as I have absolutely hated messing with the edelbrock I bought for it.

This is all very expensive, so it will be a long time, but it can't come soon enough.

I applaud those the keep it old school though and respect their choices.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 12:30
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Why someone would want to do this or any major change is this is a hobby. If you want to spend the time and money changing something go for it if for no other reason than to be different. Some will tell you not to others will cheer you on. I will be one of the ones to support your effort and look forward to reading about it. Their are even Packard people that march to the different drum.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 12:58
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Aren't those holly units actually gas spray units you put on the intake ? They don't actually squirt mixture into the cylinders do they?

Posted on: 2016/5/19 21:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Yeah the Holley I have is a throttle body that fit in place of the carb.

John

Posted on: 2016/5/20 19:10
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved