Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

r1lark, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1936 120B Touring Sedan - Window run channel
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hollidayjd
See User information
Can anyone tell me how the following items are installed:

Flexible run channel - it goes on the sides and top of rear door window openings; and on the top and rear side of the front door window openings for the glass to slide through. It doesn't appear that there are any holes in the door window frame for these to install. I have the original ones, but there is no evidence of any adhesive on the backside of these.

Rigid run channel - it goes on the backside of the chrome vent window vertical strip - front doors. There are several holes in the chrome strip, but my original ones do not have any holes in them or any sign of adhesive. Could these vertical pieces be just a "press fit" to the channel in the vertical chrome piece?

Thanks in advance for the help. I am finally at the tail end of an 18 year restoration.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 16:25
 Top  Print 

Re: 1936 120B Touring Sedan - Window run channel
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I can't speak on your model specifically, but on postwar models, there was a metal clip/bracket that riveted to the flex channel where it went into the door shell to anchor it at it's lowest point. Then it just runs up the side of the window and over the window. When the interior window moulding is reinstalled, it tightens over it and holds it in place. No adhesive. I cut mine a little bit longer so that it wedged in place on it's own even before the moulding was reinstalled.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 16:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hollidayjd
See User information
Thank you for the help. I bought the flexible run channel from Steele Rubber. It comes in 6 foot lengths, no rivet or clips installed. My car is the 4 door touring sedan, so I purchased 4 six foot lengths. Don't know if I need all that. I'm not sure how long it is supposed to extend down into the body of the door. Bought the car 18 years ago in a million pieces and (unfortunately) the guy I bought it from did not label or mark very many things. No pictures either. I sincerely appreciate your assistance. Daryl

Posted on: 2016/2/10 16:46
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I bought my channel from one of the resto places also. It didnt comes with any clips either as the channel is universal, just comes in different sizes. I had to drill the rivets off of the old channel to remove the clip, and then rivet it onto the new channel in the correct location.

1936 model is more than likely a complete different beast.

But, the flexible channel should extend into the door shell, since this is what the window rides on when lowered all the way. So I would image that there must be a method for anchoring at the bottom of the run.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 17:19
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hollidayjd
See User information
Thank you again ! I asked another question about fender welting for the front fenders. Hoping someone knows the answer on that one as I plan to finalize attachment of those two fenders in the next few days. Daryl

Posted on: 2016/2/10 17:36
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Have you tried looking at the part plates? The exploded views may answer some of you questions.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?num=10&cid=72

Posted on: 2016/2/10 17:57
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
On my '32 I used flexible run channels from Rubber The Right Way for everthing. I selected it after getting samples from about 6 suppliers. Theirs was selected because it looked the most like the original felt lined with chrome bead that was in the car and the price was great too.

Even though I used flexible it works great on straight runs. On the '32 it gets nailed at the back of the channel to the wood. I used a short ~1 inch stout nail. If you nail, make sure that it goes straight in and that the head is flat and is buried in the the lining. I think you will want the channel to go down to where the bottom of the glass is or maybe a inch or so less when the window is lowered.

I can appreciate your challenge with putting together a "Kit Car" as mine was in the same condition. When I picked it up the beds of two pickup were full of boxes and car pieces with one of the trucks pulling a trailer with the car. The car was also stuff full of parts.

I can not thank the members who use & support PackardInfo enough. There is no doubt without them I would have gone gray sooner and be completely bald by now.

Posted on: 2016/2/11 11:39
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hollidayjd
See User information
Thanks a lot !! My car is about 15 miles from home and we just cot socked with 2 feet of snow. I will go check it out tomorrow and see if there is wood in the window frames that I can nail to. I will take a picture and post it. Daryl

Posted on: 2016/2/11 11:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
The 1937 doors are all steel, I think '36 is as well.

Posted on: 2016/2/11 12:55
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Budd made the doors for Packard.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/2/11 14:08
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved