Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

EZ Car Lift
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thinking of purchasing an EZ car lift (ezcarlift.com) for use on my 1954 Packard Super Clipper, Two-Door Club Sedan, 327ci/165hp. Does anyone know where I can find an accurate figure for the curb weight of this car? I want to make sure I won't be overloading this lift. Does anyone have any experience with this lift, or another similar, small, home use type lift with which you have had good results? Please let me know. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 11:18
 Top  Print   

Re: EZ Car Lift
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I didn't see any official Packard weight specs in readily available documentation but you might check out Classic Car Databasehttp://www.classiccardatabase.com/index.php

The weight they list for the 54 Clipper Super Club Sedan is 3610. Doesn't specify which weight but to be safe I would add 100 -200# for fluids etc and maybe more if it is optioned to the max.

I don't have any experience with that lift but it would seem asking a 3/8 drill to lift 4000 pounds is pushing it.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 11:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
As another data point, I had my 1955 Patrician weighed at the Las Vegas DMV during the VIN inspection back in 1999. It came in at 4,500lb without me in it. FWIW

Craig

Posted on: 2016/2/13 11:55
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
An addendum. If actual weight of Craigs Patrician came in at 4500 that must be dry weight in the database. They list 4275 for the 55 Patrician.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 11:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
It seems like a lot of money for that ez lift. For that kinda money you can buy a 4 post lift if you have enough room in your garage of course. The ez lift looks a little rinky-dink to me. Here's a 4 post for $100 more and it will do 8000 lbs:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Garage-Pro-8-000

Posted on: 2016/2/13 12:01
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
An addendum. If actual weight of Craigs Patrician came in at 4500 that must be dry weight in the database. They list 4275 for the 55 Patrician.

The "official" weights were not dry weights but shipping weights which included motor oil, trans & differential oils and a just a few gallons of gasoline but not coolant, so as the car was delivered to the dealer. The enclosed chart for 1953 courtesy of Roscoe Stelford shows weights to be added for additional gasoline, coolant, and various extras. Somewhere I have the equivalent sheet for 1955 but can't quite find it at the moment but the add-on weights are for the most part similar.

Attach file:

jpg  (186.03 KB)
177_56bf8788d3013.jpg 930X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/2/13 14:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thanks to all for your Help!

Posted on: 2016/2/14 6:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My 400 was weighed on a truck scale. With me in it and the tools and equipment I carry it weighed in at 5,000 lbs even.
They didn't charge me for weighing it

Posted on: 2016/2/14 10:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved