Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 188

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Adjusting the steering on my 33 super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I read all the literature on adj. the steering on the 33, lots of play. they talk about a lock nut and adj. when almost at left or right, I just have a large 11/4 bolt, I tightened it up did not want to over-do-it. Can you tighten till all the play is removed? The part number on the steering is close to the motor number, so I think it is the original steering box. Also loads of fun to adj. the brakes. Thanks for the help. Dell

Posted on: 2016/2/13 21:42

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Adjusting the steering on my 33 super 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
EDITED.

There are techniques that make brake adjustments fairly easy though for starters the procedure in the Service Letters should be followed to get you "in the ballpark". We could chat about this on the phone some time if you wish. Don't forget you want a bit less pull on the front left wheel, the one with the narrower brake linings! Otherwise you'll have a bit of a pull to the left when braking hard as the trunnion block can allow the axle to shift position a bit which affects the brake geometry.

Are you saying that all the free play is in the steering gear box? If not, all the other sources should be attended to before you make adjustments to the box. Within limits the tie rod ends and drag link ends are adjustable for wear. And make sure you drop the drag link before making any adjustments and then just follow the Service Letter instructions. When I think I'm finished I like to use a fish scale on one of the steering wheel spokes and make sure there is no increase in the effort to turn the wheel thru the center point. And NO grease in the gear box, use gear oil - grease over a long period of time channels away from the surfaces and can leave naked metal to metal contact. One reason some folks went to grease was because of the gear oil leaking from the bottom into the headlight switch - if that' happening fix the seal!

On all the 33-34 cars I've examined the steering gear and differential numbers are in the same series as the motor number with the exception of the Twelves which seem to have their differential numbers in the Super Eight engine number range. In the case of my '34 Eight the steering gear is about 500 more than the engine #, the differential about 50 less.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 22:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Thanks O-D; Yes I did remove the drag link, I think the first time it had ever been off the car. I cleaned all the 80+ year old grease out and off all the parts and made new seals (such as they are) from some rubber stock. I followed the instruction by adjusting in an almost lock position and still have some play. At least the car can be driven now with great care. I will work on breaks and steering some more when I get home from vacation. I hope the steering will adjust tighter as I am not looking forward to taking the assembly out of the car and who might have serviceable parts. Dell

Posted on: 2016/2/14 13:27

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Those are VERY well-designed and constructed steering gear units, quite robust. Unless it's been abused the chances are adjustment is all you'll need. With nearly 90,000 miles on my '34 I've never found it necessary to adjust it and it has about 1" of free play at he rim of the wheel with wheels straight ahead - steering is really quite precise. I hope you can achieve the same result, these cars really have just lovely road manners, especially considering the lack of independent front suspension.

Posted on: 2016/2/14 13:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
O_D, I love how you say they've lovely road manners. I noticed the same thing in my 35 eight, but like last week I got into some road construction and they ground off a white line, and boy you better be holding your wheel with 2 hands and pay lots of attention cause she sure wants to squirm all over the road!

Posted on: 2016/2/14 14:54
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved