Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 87

Ozstatman, Todd W. White, bullsh--ter, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Salt Lake Chrome shop
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Our local chrome shop here in Billings closed down a few years ago. One of the shops suggested for some needed chrome work is Salt Lake Chrome, in Salt Lake UT. Have any of you guys ever used them?

Posted on: 2016/2/13 21:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Salt Lake Chrome shop
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Used them 20 years ago and the chrome is still looking good. They did diff covers, window trim, and other misc. parts. At that time they were fairly reasonable!
Rod

Posted on: 2016/2/15 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
I've not used Salt Lake for any auto related parts, but I did have them chrome three pieces from a circa 1951 Chambers gas range that I restored. They were easy to work with and cost at least 50% less than a local shop here in Cleveland. The work was done in a reasonable amount of time (about a month) and the quality was good.

If you search some of the Chambers stove related forums you'll find that Salt Lake is a favorite of the guys and gals that restore these ranges.

I'm not sure if I still have the contact info, but if you like I can check.

--Scott

Posted on: 2016/2/15 23:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Check out this link to the Chambers Rangers Discussion Forum. The people in the discussion pretty much had the same positive experience that I did with Salt Lake Chrome.

By the way, I checked my records and I dealt with a fellow named Kevin who was quite helpful.

Good luck!

-Scott

Posted on: 2016/2/15 23:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
If your not going to the PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS d'ELEGANCE there OK for the heave stuff. Id stay away from them on POT and small hard to replace items. Everyone is as close to u as the UPS office.

IF YOU ONLY HAVE TO PAY FOR SOMETHING ONE TIME YOU GOT A DEAL

Posted on: 2016/2/17 18:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks for the response - I don't know who is good for pot metal. Back in the late 80's, I had a nationally known shop in Dallas work on the Goddess of Speed for my 41 110, and when it came back, it was a very shiny blob that might have been a donut pusher at some time in the past!

Glad to hear another old stove fancier in the mix - I have a 1951 O'Keefe and Merritt gas stove that has enough chrome on it to make a 50 Buick happy. It certainly is fun to cook on too!

Posted on: 2016/2/18 15:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
You get what you pay for, Sherm's Plating in Sacramento 916-646-0160 . Dave and Art do exceptional quality work, however the price is high.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 17:32

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
You might want to try Mance Plating Co in Imperial PA. I hear they are reasonable & good. 724-695-0550

Posted on: 2016/2/18 19:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Quote:
Glad to hear another old stove fancier in the mix - I have a 1951 O'Keefe and Merritt gas stove that has enough chrome on it to make a 50 Buick happy. It certainly is fun to cook on too!

I love O&M's and their beautiful styling but they're rarely, if ever, seen in these parts. It seems as though most were sold west of the Mississippi.

I just got my 1951 Chambers 90-C up and running after a full restoration. I treated her to new high temp paint on all the interior non-porcelain bits, fresh chrome and newly polished stainless along with new porcelain on the burners/grates/drip-pans. Re-greased the valves, added a standing-pilot and safety valve and cleaned the buttercup yellow exterior panels and she's now ready for another 65 years! As a matter of fact I just finished roasting a five pound chicken with carrots and potatoes...30 minutes of gas at 450F and 2.5 hours with the gas off and the cast-iron door closed tight and I had meat literally falling from the bones. Yum!

Anyways I was totally happy with how SLC handled my three chrome pieces. The cooktop and backsplash 'topper' were stamped steel and the pilot cover was cast-iron. None exhibited any pitting or needed any structural repair, however the chrome was scrubbed off right down to the copper plating. A local, nationally recognized jobber in a SW Cleveland suburb quoted me over $800 for the cooktop alone. He also suggested I just buy a "newer" stove. SLC, did the work for all three pieces for about $350. The quality seems fine to me and the service was friendly and timely. I built my own shipping crate and total freight charges there and back was in the $120 neighborhood. Just like the other Chambers owners in the thread I linked above, I'm a satisfied customer.

I'm still a bit away from doing any work on my Packard, but I'd sure give them a chance to quote the job. (Mr. "buy a new stove" can take his hot rod chrome $hop and stick-it!)

Good luck and have fun with that beautiful O&M, too!

Scott G.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 22:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Decades ago there was a plater I used to see advertised in various places that speciaized in potmetal and was very clear that they have professionals who fill each and every pit rather that trying to grind it away. They were called Richard Scott Metal Finishing or something like that and the last I looked they were still around but whether they still restore potmetal is another thing. That said, I am also looking for a good potmetal plater so wanted to chime in here to get the notifications in case something shows up!

Posted on: 2016/2/19 17:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved