Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
49 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 46

happy, bazou37, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 73 »

Re: Henry's 37 Limousine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
front right brakes lock up and now I'm getting a chance to look it over. pretty sure it is because the pads shoes were not adjust correctly as they absolutely did not want to give up the drum.

doesn't appear to be any leaking of grease or brake fluid.

the wheel cylinders are pretty corroded when I peal back the rubber on each end. those will need a good cleaning. problem is....I can't find anything on any of the local autopart house's websites....not even napa.

course $anter has it, but I was hoping for a more local over the counter solution. surely those wheel cylinders are a generic size in diameter and will take a kit from another car.

the pads look about half done, but usable, which is good cause I read the pads are different on the 138 vs 120. not sure on that one though.

races and bearings look good although very low on grease. rear seal is crap, chunks of the rubber were left behind when removing the drum. any line on one of those from someone that has already sourced these parts?

I didn't see anything in the x-ref on the site for 1937.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 18:49
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You're showing your age, the are brake shoes, not pads.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 19:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
what....I wrote it correctly lol!

Posted on: 2016/4/28 19:17
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
front right drum and SHOES adjusted perfectly.....well as good as I could get it cause adjusting the rear shoe with the .010 feeler gauge proved to be a PITA! those eccentric bolts are hard to keep in place while tightening the lock nut. I finally got it though. surprisingly the springs were the right color and in the right places.

I'm pretty sure it is better then it was before as the adjusting screw was about 1" out and now its maybe 1/4" out. basically I had full on right front brakes all the time just about. no wonder it would pull to the right and lock up the right front tire.

front drum comes on and off much easier now. adjusted the bearings the old fashioned way that my dad taught me and put everything back together. sparingly packed moly grease as well.

I'll check the other side tomorrow or this weekend.

I will rebuild the brake cylinders once I figure out what I need and the parts come in. looks like maybe rockauto carries the correct 1-1/16" bore kit.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=370385&cc=952859&jsn=287

edit: ordered the front and rear wheel cylinder kits from jegs. same part numbers from rockauto. I ordered a couple of car covers (half price clearance) for the two Packards and I added the cylinder kits to get the free handling. might as well.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 21:14
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I don't know what ERROR: forum not selected means, but dammit it keeps happening and wiping out all the text I type! and of course, I forget to copy it before I hit submit!!!!

long story short.

did driver's side. springs good except the one holding adjuster was on the top....moved to bottom of adjuster. removed passenger's side to look again...spring were actually flipped on the yellow/silver. springs all good on both sides now.

driver's side had to pry drum off too. secondary shoe will only contact drum in the center of shoe. .010 gauge is useless at top and bottom even after adjusting eccentrics. only in the center will it gauge a gap with .010. any ideas on this guys. pretty sure its a bad shoe from being adjust badly and wearing the top and bottom of shoe prematurely.

adjusted best I could by center or secondary shoe. drove. no lockup until half pedal push. before was 1/4 pedal and lock up.

will check rears soon.

any idea where to get new shoes. I know Kanter, but are they so obsolete that they don't cross over at a local parts store. I see lots of re-shoe kits, but I don't want to mess with that.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 12:05
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In case you were wondering, yes I did notice - brake SHOES!

Posted on: 2016/5/2 12:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
If you can find someone willing to use your lining, I have plenty of Old Stock lining sets, "some guys" say the old lining is better...
N/C

Posted on: 2016/5/2 12:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
pm sent. I don't care if it is old or new. the ones on there are bendix brand...I failed to record the part number. no idea how old they are...hell for all I know they were on there when my Grandfather had the car, but I doubt it cause my Grandfather would have put the springs on the right direction.

also if you are talking linings....I have no idea how to put those on. I'm guessing new rivots and rivot gun. no idea.

I also don't know if it is the metal part of the shoe that is out of arch or the shoe lining. 90% sure its the lining though. I'm assuming if the metal was out of arch I would see a bend.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 12:38
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Correction - per your comment above, and the parts book, the 120 lining is different from the 138, likely wider. I do not have the 138 lining...sorry.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 12:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
womp womp...yes you are correct. the 138 brakes are different. Kanter may be my only option as I doubt any local parts house has brake shoes for a 138 considering how few there were compared to the 120.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 12:49
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved