Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 98

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 73 »

Re: Henry's 37 Limousine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Typically ign switches are labeled BAT, ACC, IGN and if you have a key type starter a terminal labeled START. In a switch with two on positions the IGN terminal is usually only active when a key us turned to the right whereas ACC is active with key right or left. With the Packard switch before late 50 there was no left position so both ign and accessories turned on at the same time via separate terminals. In Packards case the accessory terminal was frequently labeled GA and the ign terminal went thru the armored cable before 48 and was labeled COIL after that.

I expect your loom wire labeled ACC is for one of the late ign switches and is used to provide power to things --radio, etc -- without having the coil energized --typically when the key is to the left. With only the one position on yours it would probably need to go on the GA terminal to provide power to a section of the fuse box feeding those type accessories.

Posted on: 2016/8/29 14:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yes I do see GA on the left when facing back of switch. AM is on the right. so General accessories and maybe...ammeter...

under GA I see RAD, which I assume is describing the coil output. not sure what RAD means.

I guess since all of my accessories run on switches....like the fuel pump and fans...I could just put the ACC line on the battery or AM side of the switch. or I could just put it on the GA side and have to use the key to use the accessories. this would keep my kid from playing with switches without the key.

Posted on: 2016/8/29 15:48
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe AM is ammeter and on your switch that is the input & would be BAT on the later switches.

GA I think stands for gauge as on most models the output of ign sw went to the gas gauge first and then elsewhere. Not sure what RAD is. It might mean radio -- sometimes those were fed off the ign switch but on some models they were connected to the ammeter and were powered all the time.

The coil feed goes thru the armored cable and may not be labeled on the early switches.

Posted on: 2016/8/29 16:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
going back to your post number 81, that helped me figure out what I need to do.

I need to move the wire to the starter switch to the AM side of the key switch, this will allow the starter to run without coil power, just like factory.

then move the ACC wire to the GA side of the key switch, which will provide 12v to the accessories and the gauges, etc. and at the same time the coil with get 12v when the key is turned. so it will essentially be like factory.

man I tell you trying to think about the way things were in 1937 vs modern day is really making me think too hard.

with that said here is what the wiring looks like now. I covered it in the braided loom and heat shrinked everything to make it nice and neat. just have to switch that wire around to make it like a factory setup.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.01 KB)
491_57c5d1924d791.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (40.54 KB)
491_57c5d19f6916c.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (41.41 KB)
491_57c5d1ad0da2c.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (46.79 KB)
491_57c5d1b8c2a41.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/8/30 13:23
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I tell you guys that find wiring easy....this is making my brain hurt so flipping bad. I think because this is my first time doing any wiring. mechanics are my thing, give me a bolt or a screw and I'm good. wiring has NEVER been something I cared about.

I just have to keep telling myself to do one little part at a time, but when I'm trying to make the harness nice and neat and I seal something up and then have to take it apart again because I forgot something....geesh what a headache!

as for the wires that are not needed like the wipers and the A/C....I just cut them at staggering lengths and put stuffed them into the braided loom so it looks like they never existed and then I pulled the fuse so they don't get power. and since they are at staggering lengths, they wont touch incase a fuse is placed back in and burn the harness up or the car.

I'm starting to think I could have just bought the 8 circuit harness as I'm never putting a/c or electric wipers or backup lights or a third brake light....etc etc. so many extra wires I don't even care about. but the bang for the buck is good. hell this thing has wires for door jamb switches....I did consider that....but I'd have to drill the car and I'm not really liking that idea as much.

anyways, just a little rant after not getting much done last night other then repeating work I already did and sweating my ass off.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 11:50
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well here is what I did last night but had to take apart because the fuel pump wire ran to the back of the car on the wrong side and there was no switch wire for it. so I had to cut the fuel pump power wire so I could wire one side to the switch and then use the rest that pulled out to go to the pump down the other side of the car.

I had it all decent looking too. damnit!

I'm not sure why the people that wired this before used such huge wires to run the fans, maybe because its dual fans on a single wire. I do know that the harness did supply a acc battery wire for the fans and a switch wire that goes to the fans, unlike the fuel pump as described above.

the wires are probably like 16 gauge. not sure if it will run the fans. the wires the other person ran are like 8 gauge...you can see them in the pics...the two red ones going down the kick panel with the harness.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.85 KB)
491_57c70cb5edd58.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.37 KB)
491_57c70cbbb8120.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2016/8/31 11:58
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IIRC, some of those older radiator fans can pull as much as 50 amps at full speed. You might see if you can find some specs on the ones you have and then figure the minimum wire size needed for the length of the run.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 12:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
8.8 amps per fan. there are two so 17.5 amps. I'm gonna need a relay, which I thought this harness had, but does not.

the fuel pump I wont...it only draws like 3 amps max.

the harness does have a horn relay, so I may pull it off the fuse box and use it as the relay for the fans.

but that is all if I want to use the wiring in the harness and not just keep the wiring that is already there for the fans.

there are two fans wired together sharing the same wire back to the switch. so if I go with a relay...I guess I'd have to use two of them and if I do can I use one switch?

so many flipping options. brain hurting.

I should have just left the wiring the way it was.....sigh

Posted on: 2016/8/31 13:00
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most horn relays need a ground to operate so you would have to wire the switch to connect to ground when turned on instead of providing voltage as it normally would. No idea if your loom is set up for that change. If it were mine I would just buy some relatively inexpensive 30-40 amp cube type relays that are all over ebay. You can wire those directly with quick disconnect terminals or get a socket and plug the relay in. If you go the socket route, get a good one. Some of those cheap sockets that come prewired have really crappy and undersized wires that make you wonder what standard they used to call the wires a certain gauge.

You can use a single switch to control relays in parallel if you want one for each fan or if the relay is one of the cube type 30-40 amp capacity, then with only needing less than 20 amps use one relay and wire the fans in parallel. You could also add one of the thermostatic switches in parallel with the manual switch to operate the relay and turn the fans on only when needed. Keep the manual switch off unless there was a need to override the thermostat. If you ever added AC the relay could also be wired in to turn the fans on when AC went on.

The fuel pump draw is very low. Do you remember the brand? IIRC, Airtex wants their pumps fused for 10 amps.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 13:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
One thing to remember about this harness and most others, they usually do not supply any of the extra ground wiring needed. So remember to include them in your harness runs before taping up your harness.

Dash and interior lighting, and the door switches are usually negative triggers.

So the harness will may supply power to a bulb, but the other side maybe a cable run to a door switch or dash with which then grounds when the circuit is closed.

This is also true of things like the horn button which is a ground trigger.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 14:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved