Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 92

pmhowe, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 73 »

Re: Henry's 37 Limousine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
HH, while you were responding (thank you by the way)...I took a moment to just sit back and snooze. while snoozing my brain decided to work again and came to the same conclusion you did. wire two cube relays in parallel except for running the fan wires separate that actually run the fans. Kinda like a headlight relay harness for old cars to make the headlights brighter and run right off the battery. this will allow me to use the wire in the harness and just have to run one more wire next to that one for the second fan.

so I would run the fused fan power from the fuse box to the switch, then from the switch to the first cube relay, then jump off that to the same pole on the second cube relay. Then use one of those red wires you see in that picture above (8gauge I think) to run power from the starter battery post to the first cube and then jumper to the next cube (this wire is fused as well). do the same for the ground (no fuse). then use the current wire in the wiring harness to wire one of the fans off one cube. then run another wire parallel to that one off the other cube to the other fan. boom done.

what I meant by using the horn relay....was like taking it off the fuse box and wiring it up manually as described above. I don't plan on using the horn relay as the harness and relay on the horns now is WAY easier to just reuse and it was one of the few good wires left that had not been hacked on.

I can either wire manually and terminate wires myself to the cube or buy one of the prewired plugs and not use the shitty wiring (I agree it sucks) and just us the plastic plug to make a nicer install and run my own wires into it. I can probably just find the plug minus the wires on ebay cheaper I'm sure. I think kwikwire even sells then with wire and without.

the fuel pump is a MR gasket and it is either 3 or 6 amp, but either way I have it on a 16 amp switch. the fuse was a 25amp on the fuse block...but I'm replacing with a 10.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 14:38
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
One thing to remember about this harness and most others, they usually do not supply any of the extra ground wiring needed. So remember to include them in your harness runs before taping up your harness.

Dash and interior lighting, and the door switches are usually negative triggers.

So the harness will may supply power to a bulb, but the other side maybe a cable run to a door switch or dash with which then grounds when the circuit is closed.

This is also true of things like the horn button which is a ground trigger.

understood. luckily for me...ground is not far away on this car being the whole dash is metal and connects to the body, chassis, etc. I have used my test lamp a couple of times and just grounded to one of the openings in the dash. worked great. so things like the dash lights will ground via the socket right to the dash and only power is a single wire to the bottom of the bulb. the dome light is the same way.

now on the 55 there are some double pole light sockets that I will have to run grounds for. the 37 is much more simple, even though my head is killing me. I am hoping all this I'm learning on the 37 prepares me for the 55.

the headlights being converted to 3 pole H4....there is a separate hidden ground wire, but the rest of the wiring in the engine bay wont really need any ground wires. the brake lights ground to the bulb socket.

but you are right....I've already had to take apart things I've dressed up because I had to get to a wire. so I'm not going to be dressing up anything until I'm really sure I'm done.

I know my mind is making this harder then it really is. that snooze really helped.

the reason I'm not going to use the horn relay on the harness is that Packard pushed the ground through the column to the inside of the engine bay and this harness has the ground wire for the horn relay under the dash. I could use it, but I'd have to splice in and run all the wires myself to the engine bay and I have a perfectly good horn harness already that will take me about 2 seconds to hook up.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 14:46
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I plan on using this for the turn signal and probably (maybe not) running a separate for the flashers since this one doesn't have that. or just don't have flashers. idk.

http://kwikwire.com/toggle-turn-signal-switch-with-wire-harness/

I absolutely despise the aftermarket column mounted version and I can hide this with the rest of the switches under the dash.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 14:53
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry --- My Hot Rod has one of the column type switches mounted under the instrument panel. It is out of the way, but not the easiest to use. Being out of the way, I sometimes forget to turn it off. I can see where a toggle switch would be even more inconvenient. But, it will be hidden from sight and this is what you want.

For your consideration: I installed turn signals on the 37 using a column type switch. I like it much better than the hot rod's setup. The color matches the steering column and, to me, it looks like it belongs there. Easier to use too. Here is a photo of it.

I like your work on the under dash wiring.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (169.67 KB)
565_57c753aac9461.jpg 1632X1224 px

Posted on: 2016/8/31 17:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you checked out Electro-Techs offerings?http://turnswitch.com/Turnsignal.htm

Posted on: 2016/8/31 17:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
ohhhh weeee he is proud of those things! $$$$

I already have the female end that goes with that toggle from kwikwire. (came with the wiring harness) I called them yesterday and they do indeed go together. so all I have to do is mount it under the dash near the gear stick (already a free hole there that someone drilled and don't want to have to drill more) run my wires and terminate them into the female plug and boom plug it into the switch harness. done and I have very discrete turn signals.

JW thanks for the info, I appreciate that you like those switches on the column, but me....I think they look bulky and out of place. different strokes right!

Posted on: 2016/9/1 7:47
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
some good news from last night, although with its own mistakes.

I decided to keep the 8 gauge wire that goes to the fans. the wires that come out of the fans are maybe 16 gauge and they double up to the 8 gauge and run to the switch (heavy duty switch, probably 50amp) I'll just run loom over the cable and be done with that. partly because I cannot get my adult sized arms and hands up behind the grille to attach any new wiring to the fans and out of all the wiring that was one that actually didn't look too bad. musta been a good day for that person.

I ran the wire for the fan from the fuse box to the other side of the switch and ran the fans for as long as I dared so as to not drain the battery....10 min maybe. the switch got a little warm, but I could keep my finger on the pole and it did not burn me. just warm. the fuse was warm when I pulled it as well.

I decided to test the amps going across the switch...don't think I did it right, but it was reading 8.5, but I don't think that was right because I put a 15 amp fuse in to just see if it would work....nope it blew it right when I hit the switch. 25amp fuse works fine though, just gets a little warm like the switch. I still think I'm going to mount a relay to take the load off that switch and the wiring, especially since I already have that 8 gauge wiring right there.

the fuel pump is working now as well. I put in a 3amp fuse just to see if it was even drawing that much. nope the fuse held fine. so that 16 amp switch will handle that thing all day long without a need for a relay and the wiring wont get hot either. bad news though....the electric pump was putting enough pressure on the mechanical that it was pumping gas out of the seams. considering the mechanical pump wont hold fuel pressure when the car sits....and now this....its time for a rebuild. the vacuum side doesn't really work either. I can't remember where I got the rebuild kit for my 55. i'll google soon, but any suggestions for a 37 pump rebuild kit?

so the fans worked and the fuel pump worked. so why not find out if the car will run reliably.

I hooked up the coil wire and the starter and figured out the starter solenoid has a push button on the front of it to run the starter. so that means I can leave the key switch wired the way it is so that the starter button does not engage the starter unless the key is turned. if I want to turn the car over without it starting...I just hit that button on the solenoid without the key on. instant cranking.

so I hooked up everything temporarily, not the alternator though, and sure enough the car ran smooth as butter, even just off the battery.

course I forgot the oil pressure line was not capped off under the dash and I was welcomed back into the cab with an oil spill....womp womp. cleaned that up though.

so long story short... I'm on the right track and at least the car ran.

Posted on: 2016/9/1 7:59
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hank, good progress on the 37. Right, different strokes for...

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/9/1 10:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
the toggle turn signal switch from Kwikwire will work with the brake lights on the Packard. I called them to make sure.

the 37 has one bulb single filament for tail light and one bulb single filament for brake light....per side. the toggle switch from Kwikwire will indeed ignore the brake signal and use the brake bulb as a turn when the switch is thrown and at the same time leave the brake light on on the opposite side. I was having a hard time understanding that and had to call them to make sure. they probably think I'm some kind of idiot.

as for the front fender lights that I will be using for turn/parking/driving lights. I will have to convert those to 1157 or similar dual pole lights. one filament for running and one for turn. I plan on orange for the color instead of the white that is in there. I am hoping I just have to replace the pigtail with one of the cheap units you find on ebay or summit or the same. depending on the size of the socket.

I can see that the lense on those fender mounted lights just seems to pop off...but I'm VERY afraid to break those lenses. any advice on getting to those bulbs without breaking those lenses?

and yes I do realize I don't know much about wiring, so some of the things I have typed about....well you guys are probably raising an eyebrow to, but I guess it helps me process things. idk.

Posted on: 2016/9/1 12:51
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I got the lenses off. appears the fender lights were already set with dual filament lights wired together to make one bright ass bulb. I will use one for running and one for turn. got new inserts though because the little tab that lines up the dual leads to the bulb is broken and they rotate when the bulb is twisted in.

Posted on: 2016/9/6 9:37
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved